Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which sterling 10.5?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  codysweat 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
looks like a open, cause we blew the spiders out of a dana 80 on a 450 and it didnt look like that and its not a open dif. not shure though

#5 ·
A limited slip is not a locker... and open spider gears can sometimes make both tires spin in low-traction conditions, like sand or snow...
I've got LS rear in my dually, it will let one set of tires spin before it 'limits' the slip, and the tire with more traction makes the truck move. A true 'locker' would not let this happen, you would get 100% of ring gear rotation at both tires... not an (example) 90% / 110% as is possible with a limited slip or open gear diff.

#7 ·
Is there clutch disks inside the case? The picture isn't clear enough, but with the bolt heads you can see on the right side, I'm guessing it's a LSD. But, I've not had enough of these trucks apart to know for sure. If it was an old chevy Corp 14 bolt, I'd be able to tell ya...

I'd test it as follows:

Jack up the rear of the truck, both tires off the ground. With the trans in park or in gear, see if you can turn one tire easily, and if the other tire spins the oppisite direction... if so, open gears. If it turns, but hard, LSD.

#9 ·
thats the factory lsd for sure. go with an eaton tru trac locker to spin both wheels and save your tires, the true locker is bad to the bone but it will eat your tires on pavement, ill be getting the tru trac seems like thats the way to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.