Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need PCM upgrade advice

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nhpick02 
#1 ·
Hey folks..
I am new to this forum and need your help to understand a few things about my early 99. I want to change it to a late PCM and after searching a lot I found that any late PCM will work. Can anyone confirm this for me? My truck is a 6spd, so here is my question: Will a PCM off an auto truck work or does it have to be from a manual truck? Looking forward to hear from your side.

Thanks.

#2 ·
not 100% sure but almost positive youll need a pcm out of a later 6 spd think the autos have a diff code. try the search tab above there has been lots of discussion about the pcm upgrade, but before you go and switch it out also know that some of the tuner guys can make ur old pcm just as good ive heard... good luck

#4 ·
You have to get a pcm out of a manual

#5 ·
I am looking at possibly swapping my pcm with one from a 2001. i have an early 99 too. both are automatics. i just recently realized that i had an early 99, i wondered why my truck had the emblem on the front of the fender!!

Do any of u guys know the power difference between early 99 and later models? will the pcm make much of a difference? Broncoboy79 i see you have an early 99, did ur 6 position chip have to be tuned just for ur truck or does it matter. i have a chip in my TS chip in my 01 and would like to put it in my early 99...not sure if its that easy though??

#7 ·
As far as I know the power differance is small with the pmt 1/2 swap. I know is changes the shift points to make them better and makes cruise control light come on in dash. As far as chips yeah you have to get it programmed for a early 99 unless you just switch out your pcm out of the 2001 to the early then you can you the chip with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.