knocking noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
knocking noise

hey everyone i own a early 99 7.3l powerstroke it has approximately 164k miles on it and I change the oil every 3 to 4K miles. I have a dp tuner (no codes tunes), a gillett diesel compressor upgraded turbo, terminator pump, hpx, triple disc torque converter, shift kit, afe stage 2, 4 inch exhaust, aem water methanol. I have the most annoying knocking noise coming from my motor. It doesn't knock when cold and only can be heard once the truck has warmed up. also I notice a little blue smoke but it only appears when i put a heavy foot down on the throttle and not on normal acceleration or idle. Can anyone help me? this is driving me up the wall. I have theories of what it could be worn injector o-rings. I had a air/contribution test and the truck passed, I did the oil cap test and it didn't blow off, there was no pooling in the intake pipe, theres no noticeable loss in power. PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thats not rod knock... its a diesel! j/p im curious to hear the results so im subscribing
Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 AM

i don't know what it is. i hope it isn't a rod knock... the truck doesn't make the knocking noise when its cold only when the truck warms up. I'm so lost. I think also might have to do with the rocker arm, valve spring, or push rod. Please Help!!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a early 99 f350 and it didn't make that noise untill i changed to a adrenaline oil pump. Sence then I checked it out and found that it only makes the noise on #8, I installed a new injector and nothing. Then took it to a diesel shop and they said I got a bad injector, but befor they took the injector out they tested compression and it only had 290 comp., they pull the injector and found yje coper washer came off on me and I foumd it on the floor but didn't know wher it went. they put another washer on it and it came back to 390 like the one next to it. problem is when I disconect #8 injector noise goes away, plug it in and it is wright back. Never was there untill I replaced HPOP, I have changed ICP,IPR, and nothing has worked, sound like a rod knock only when warmand idles ruff, It is quite and smoth runing wgen cold. seen other posts like this but no confermed fixes.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
same noise here, only when warm
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how long has yours ben doing this, i all most dont want to drive it, I fill it got to be in the injector timming.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mine does it only with my tunes, not in the stock position, so I have been driving around on stock setting until i get the chip reburnt
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had same, changed fuel filter and it went away.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Use a piece of hose connected to a small funnel to make a stethoscope, now use that stethoscope to find exactly where the knocking noise is coming from, you can tell if it is low or in the oil pan, its a rod, if a ring or piston is broken it will sound up high toward the head, or like in my truck it is in the transmission. I am curious as to what your find?

Paul
Old 06-09-2011, 01:07 PM

mine seems to be making a similar noise, does it cold or warm, but it goes away when i bring the rpms up to about 1300 and higher than that it is not there. and every once in a while when i get off the highway am at a stop light i can fell it miss a couple times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.