Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

XLE4 to PMT1

32K views 79 replies 27 participants last post by  jdkids 
#1 ·
Just in case anyone was wondering...theres been some questions...the change from a XLE4 (early 1999) to a PMT1 (2001) PCM is plug and play 100%. Just did it. The tuning is different in the PMT1. Not sure it's horse power different...but the truck definitely has a little more umph on the low end. The second gear pull seems a little longer and quicker. The third gear grab is much smoother and more powerful. Beyond that...havn't been able to play with. The reasoning for me change was simply because Tony at TotalDieselPerformance suggested it for better tuning of the PCM. He said the the PMT series PCMs open up the tuning and get better results than the XLEs. I figured it was worth the $75 on car-parts.com Hope to get the new tunes that are being reburned for PMT1 this week...:thumb:

#65 ·
Wish i could help you but Im thinking of buying a pmt2 also. I wonder if ill have this same problem. Ive heard that a pmt2 will throw a check engine light or maybe just the OD light dude to the higher line pressure and your trans pump cant take it.

#66 ·
my computer is fired and tring to find another and would like a PMT1 or 2 but i cant find one! i have an e99 f250 intake, exhaust, gauges, 8in lift and 37's. i had a bully dog 6 position tuner and thats why i have no computer now. so i figure if my computer is gone then might as well up grade. can anyone help? thanks!!

#68 ·
yea i looked on there but it is kinda confusing. i checked the 1999,2000, and 2001 and none of them had a pmt1 or pmt2? i just want to get one and get my truck back on the road. any help or anyone that has one for sale would be much appreciated. thanks for the help!

#69 ·
will this fit in my e99 f250 with intake, exhaust, gauges, 8in lift and 37's and not throw some crazt code and have any lights on?
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (L. firewall), 8-445 (7.3L, diesel), eng cont, AT, std emis (Fed), ID 1C3F-ZB

thanks guys for all the help!

#70 · (Edited)
will this fit in my e99 f250 with intake, exhaust, gauges, 8in lift and 37's and not throw some crazt code and have any lights on?
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), (L. firewall), 8-445 (7.3L, diesel), eng cont, AT, std emis (Fed), ID 1C3F-ZB
thanks guys for all the help!
2001 F-Series 7.3L DI TC VRAA6S3 1C3F-ZB 1F719S0A05 DPC-422 216 219C PMT1 P131 N/A

should work fine in your truck..there may be an extra light on the dash..it will be the cruise controle light..other then that you will be ok..

#71 ·
I have an early 99 with an auto. Mine has the cruise control light in the dash. I am not sure of the build date, but, will look it up later. Where do you find the build date?

Also, is the PMT1, PMT2 used for the autos? Which PCM is best for my truck? Thanks gentlemen! James

#72 ·
Build date on mine is at the base of the "B" pillar on the driver's side. I used a PMT2 and I am very happy. Firm shifts and no weird schtuff going on at all.

#76 ·
The biggest difference is the firmer, more positive shifting and the lack of code-throwing. It had an old Ottomind chip in it, so that may have been part of the problem. Currently I have the Ford AIS box with the fender sleeve, Banks Six Gun, and I have a Banks Ottomind programmer and a Banks intercooler. Mileage averages 15 mostly highway, and about 11-12mpg when towing. I do want to either straight pipe it or go 4" with a straight through muffler.
The only code I throw is "ICP pressures too high or too low" and that is after a long uphill at WOT. Clears itself after a few miles of driving. Someone suggested that I need a different HPOP. Truck only has 65K on the clock!

#78 ·
What I have been able to find so far is, the 99 was rated for 235 hp and the 01 auto 250. The sticks have 25 more hp. I am certain that is due to the efficiency of the transmission and not the tune of the engine. Anyhow, I guess one might be able to feel a slight hp increase when switching ECU's. I have mine on the way! James

#80 ·
Ok I know thread is old but just got around to swapping pcm from 1/98 XLE4 dpc-402 to 2001 pmt3 1c3f-zd at first ran good but under hard acceleration check engine light codes p1211-po541-po640-p1249 cleared codes put tow tuning in from superchip programmer now only have po640 my question do I need to have this reflashed for 99 settings to clear check engine light from comming on ? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.