Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Swapping PCMs... quick but important questions

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  codysweat 
#1 ·
Okay i know theres a thread about this but theres 30 pages and after reading about 10 in various places i just cant seem to understand it all lol
first i have an early 99, automatic, 2wheel drive, F-350:icon_ford:

1. What exactly am i looking for in a PCM like model numbers things like that, like what should i make sure it has for a direct swap

2. Is there any kind of MPG increase?

3. Can it damage/mess up anything?

4. Will it effect anything when i take it to the mechanic and they plug in the diognastics?

5. #2!!! haha:thumb:

Thanks guys

#2 ·
got your pm man but ill post here.

since you are driving a automatic, your xle# is the early pcm. look for a pmt 1 or pmt 2 out of a later truck like 2000-2003 7.3. im not sure if the late 99s had the pmts yet.

pmt1 im told is the best and pmt 2 is just as good but has some minor trans line pressure differences.

mpg increase? i havent heard that being achieved yet with a pcm swap.

no it will not damage anything since they are plug an play. just different programing for the trans and engine control. and is easier to tune for rather than a xle pcm. tony had some issues tuning mine.

no shouldnt matter or effect anything when being scanned.

whats number 2 on 5?

as for my self, i just got my xle tuned and do not have a pmt yet. the plan is for a pmt 1in mine with a bts here soon. i had one ordered some months ago but it got canceled since they found out it wasnt in stock :doh:

#3 ·
gotcha man thanks, lol well #2 was for question 2 lol cuz id love to hear that by better programming and shifting there was a mpg increase make it easier for dad to understand the want to spend the money lol okay so is there a good place to look id love to find one under a 100 bucks, if i find one and send u a pm or post here will you be able to tell me if its what i need? haha i have no clue on this stuff, also i saw someone saying after they upgraded they could blow more smoke.. is this true? and i know that it will help shifting id love that cuz man shifting is soooooo slow lol and i know i sure want some quicker response, hey im 19 as of 3 minutes ago i like to have a little kick and speed ;)

#4 ·
ah ok. im still working on minor stuff for better mpgs but not getting it yet. 14mpg is what i get no matter what.

junk yards are the best for them. and it can be possible to blow more smoke but if you are worried about mpgs, i wouldnt do that much since thats unburnt fuel out the tail pipe. and i feel for ya on the shifting. i hate mine and how it shifts, get a VB from bts or another site and that will help speed it up. plus tunes will too.

and happy bday!

#5 ·
yeahh im in college and well i dont work soooo really dont have a ton of money lol honestly if i had total control over the truck like i paid for repairs and things that just go wrong well id have it chipped and all, but since i dont upgrades gotta be approved by the man who pays for it lol dad haha, and yeah i know but what can i say sometimes ppl piss you off and they deserve to have a lil smoke in there cars hahaha especially if they have the windows down, but yeah i average around 15-17 really just depends on how much i get on it.. which is most of the time but i still get around 15.5 to 16, but i have gotten as low as 12 but i had the truck sitting running for hours at a time so that killed the mileage,

ill check the junkyard but man the ones around here piss me off they try to charge you freakin dealer prices for wrecked junk crap lol and well one of them hardly speaks English... that just pisses me off lol ill check them out tho, how do i know if its a PMT1 or not tho? and are there certain years i should look for i thought i read somewere that the 99-01 were interchangeable and the 02-03 were interchangeable.. could be wrong.

and Thanks man

#6 ·
well most of them dont speak english. but.....ya just gotta find that place that the prices are low. i finally found one but they dont ever have any sd trucks.

my parents did not pay for anything on both of my trucks. didnt want me to have one yet basically. and try not to abuse the smoke deal. we have enough epa hippies on our azz tryin to get more smog stuff.

heres mine thats an XLE4. needs to be PMT1. and prolly the 2000-2001 would be best. imo

#12 ·
im curious as well im driving a e99 4x4 f350 do i need to find a pcm out of the same truck newer year? and can i get an ex. of a part number for the best 1 either being pmt1 or 2? and how i can tell right from wrong just idoit lights pretty much. my pcm is junked and could really use the upgrade any help much appericated. thanks, cody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.