Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Steering Gearbox...

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dannanw 
#1 ·
Ok so i have a early 99 f-250 7.3 4x4. Im looking into doing a gear box. This is my only truck so i need everything and anything i need to get it done the first time.

Also How many Splines does it have 32 or 36? I have looked everywhere with no luck

Thanks
Jeff

#2 ·
it depends.. take the pitman arm off and there or 4 bigger splines every 1/4 of the output shaft.. and count the splines inbetween the two bigger splines, if its 8 then 8*4 is 32.. thats how i did mine.. cause when i needed to replace it i sheard off the output shaft so i could accually count all the splines

#9 ·
My early 99 F350 CC wandered all over the highway. Jody of DP Tuner suggested a redhead steering gear. I ordered one and that took care of my wandering problems. The red head steering gear gas bearing instead of bushing. Easy way to count the splines is take some white marking paint put a dab on one of the larger splines and have someone you trust turn the steering wheel as you count the splines as they turn the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.