Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGT's, RPM's, and MPG's

910 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  samiam 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's my theory - is it full of baloney? I was thinking that i should drive with an eye for maintaining the lowest EGT's. Even if the RPM's are higher with Overdrive off that would mean less fuel is being used.

When I load my camper and head for the hills i weigh at least 11,000 pounds. i noticed when going up hills that i can turn off the Overdrive and let the RPM's go higher, and the EGT's decline quite a bit almost right away.

For example: Overdrive On and a steady highway hill climb makes about 1100 degree EGT's and 2000 RPMs.

If i turn off the Overdrive the RPM's jump up to 2500 when it downshifts, but the EGT's decline down to about 950.

Those are guesstimates since i can't remember the exact numbers from the last trip.

I don't recall seeing the transmission temp change either way.

Which is the wiser way to drive?

#2 ·
Well I think the reason your EGTs are going down is because you are making more and more boost. And in order to make more boost it takes more fuel. So I dont know if it will help with MPG or not.

#3 ·
shoot i can't remember what the boost numbers were. and i'm always watching boost when i'm loaded up because it really moves then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.