Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

early 99 ball joints

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Wert 
#1 ·
I searched but didn't find a definite answer. My truck is a 12/98, Are there different parts for early99s to later 99s? the ball joints themselves, o-rings and seals?

thanks

#8 ·
did mine awhile back and i dont recall them asking on the ball joints, but the wheel hubs are different. the late 99 will work but had to use late 99 rotors..
I am having my ball joints done this week and am curious about the early 99 hubs... My hubs are stuck in the locked position and the local shop reccomends I replace the hubs with "Manual Hubs". Do I need to be worried about the early 99 hubs being different in this case?:dunno:

#4 ·
How much did the parts end up costing? I'm prob gonna have to do ball joints, tie rods, etc here soon and thats a bullet im scared to bite. I'll prob replace the steering rack with an aftermarket one when I pull everything off, try to get rid of some of the looseness in the steering.

#5 ·
Ball joints were 160 off amazon.com
Dust seals were 30 off amazon.com
Knuckle seals and yellow orings were 140 from ford
And roughly 9 hrs of my time going slow and remaining calm, there is a lot of good write ups on how to do them too

#6 ·
I bought the stuff from somewhere that I found on here. I can't remember worth the life of me at the moment, but all parts to do the job came to $350, plus another $350 to have them installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.