99.5+ airbox Will fit early 99 models - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
99.5+ airbox Will fit early 99 models

I had asked in the general forum about if a 99.5+ model air cleaner assembly would work in our early 99 trucks. Everyone told me no. Well i just wanted to leave a message for future people to let them know that indeed the 99.5+ units will bolt directly into our early trucks without any modifications whatsoever, I just did the swap in about 10 minutes. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did it in mine and it bolted right in but I had to get the rubber elbow tube that connects to the newer box. Running diy tymar now though.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thanks for the info!

From what I've read throughout posts is that the AIS and AFE will work in our early 99's.
The AIS, will likely be my first mod for the truck. Not bad for around $250ish.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing? The factory air boxes on the e99 AND the 99.5-03 trucks all leak dust and do not flow enough clean air. Everyone I have opened up an looked at had at least some signs of dust trials and some wear on the turbo impeller. The DIY intake costs around $40 to do and takes about 10 minutes, rebuilding a dusted engine can cost anywhere from $4,000 - $12,000.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafrog View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing? The factory air boxes on the e99 AND the 99.5-03 trucks all leak dust and do not flow enough clean air. Everyone I have opened up an looked at had at least some signs of dust trials and some wear on the turbo impeller. The DIY intake costs around $40 to do and takes about 10 minutes, rebuilding a dusted engine can cost anywhere from $4,000 - $12,000.

In my case the early 99 had a Aftermarket Ford extreme duty air cleaner installed and i wanted to keep it since i am selling the truck. I am keeping my 2000 so i switched them. So thats my "why on earth would i do it" reason.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

I just installed the Ford AIS in my E99 and did have to mod it a bit. I have a Banks Intercooler and the tubes are larger I guess so I had to trim a little off the plenum to get it to fit. Folded back the rubber sheet that blocks off the side of the radiator and it now draws from the grille. I did look at the compressor wheel and all looked fine, but my truck has only 48K on it
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

I am curious to know if the S&B intake would fit our trucks? I believe you need the extra rubber elbow from the AIS in order to make the conversion easy...maybe thats why it dropped right in. I've heard some people say they work and some that they don't. I requested a drawing of S&B's intake from there engineer in order to find out for myself. The DIY is great and all and I have it now but not having anywhere for the Air Flow Sensor is killing me and causing my truck to sputter sometimes in the rain apparently.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Hmmm, I doubt the problem is your air flow sensor since there is no such thing.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM

air temp my bad.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Most folks just tie the temp sensor to something out of the way but near the filter. It should still measure the air temp accurately since the air around the filter and the air in the intake tube should be the same temp unless something very strange is going on.
However I have seen folks drill the PVC elbow and install both the temp sensor and the restriction indicator into the PVC elbow. I’m too lazy for all that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.