Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99.5+ airbox Will fit early 99 models

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  airinsmokeout 
#1 ·
I had asked in the general forum about if a 99.5+ model air cleaner assembly would work in our early 99 trucks. Everyone told me no. Well i just wanted to leave a message for future people to let them know that indeed the 99.5+ units will bolt directly into our early trucks without any modifications whatsoever, I just did the swap in about 10 minutes. Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks for the info!

From what I've read throughout posts is that the AIS and AFE will work in our early 99's.
The AIS, will likely be my first mod for the truck. Not bad for around $250ish.

#4 ·
Why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing? The factory air boxes on the e99 AND the 99.5-03 trucks all leak dust and do not flow enough clean air. Everyone I have opened up an looked at had at least some signs of dust trials and some wear on the turbo impeller. The DIY intake costs around $40 to do and takes about 10 minutes, rebuilding a dusted engine can cost anywhere from $4,000 - $12,000.

#6 ·
I just installed the Ford AIS in my E99 and did have to mod it a bit. I have a Banks Intercooler and the tubes are larger I guess so I had to trim a little off the plenum to get it to fit. Folded back the rubber sheet that blocks off the side of the radiator and it now draws from the grille. I did look at the compressor wheel and all looked fine, but my truck has only 48K on it:thumb:

#7 ·
I am curious to know if the S&B intake would fit our trucks? I believe you need the extra rubber elbow from the AIS in order to make the conversion easy...maybe thats why it dropped right in. I've heard some people say they work and some that they don't. I requested a drawing of S&B's intake from there engineer in order to find out for myself. The DIY is great and all and I have it now but not having anywhere for the Air Flow Sensor is killing me and causing my truck to sputter sometimes in the rain apparently.

#10 ·
Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Most folks just tie the temp sensor to something out of the way but near the filter. It should still measure the air temp accurately since the air around the filter and the air in the intake tube should be the same temp unless something very strange is going on.
However I have seen folks drill the PVC elbow and install both the temp sensor and the restriction indicator into the PVC elbow. I’m too lazy for all that though.

#11 ·
Yeah thats what i thought and thats also what i did. however, when i have my DIY filter on the truck my truck sputters in the rain and when i put the stocker back on no problem at all in the rain. still a mystery to me. sometimes in the rain my truck jsut dies at red lights or stop signs.

#14 ·
Yep, I bought my Baldwin PA2818 filter for $38 and PVC 45 for like $5 so total cost of my DIY was less than $45. Parts to rebuild my dusted engine from the factory box was over $4,000.

#15 ·
E99 suck air from fender well, I converted mine under factory recall at the dealer so I didnt actually do it but air from the grill just makes more sense IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.