need a new turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need a new turbo

I have an early 99 and me turbo is shot. I'm looking around for a replacement and all the ones I'm finding are for a 99.5-2003. Is there a reason the aftermarket doesn't make turbos for my truck? I'm thinking about just getting a rebuilt one to save some money, but I'm worried about the longevity of a rebuilt turbo. Where would a good shop be to get a rebuilt one? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey there, I'm generally a forum creeper, butttttt, i'm going threw the same exact situation as you. and typically its harder then hell to find turbos and such for the earlies.
But if i were you, i'd get ahold of clay over at riffraff diesels. shoot him an email and he'll tell you everything you wanna know. he told me straight up, $25 bucks shipping both ways and that it'd be a whole lot cheaper to do it myself, seeing its not such a hard task to do.
The early turbo kits arn't listed on his web page, but they do have them. Either way, its a top notch outfit and you could honest to god rebuild about 12 turbos for the price of a new one (including the wheel).
The life expectancy on rebuilds are pretty much just short, if not as long as new ones, depending on how the housing looks, how clean the air coming into it is, how hard you push it, ect.. as long as its done right.

The reason your not finding any for the earlies is they completely changed the plumbing on them and the newer ones have a totally different pedestal. That being said, there moreless rarer then the 99.5-03's. only half a year of production means Less target sales which in turn means less production.

The only new drop in one i can think of is from bean, and even its a rebuld. i'm thinking the aurora series may be coming out with a new one, however it may just be a 99.5<
Beans Diesel Performance - Early 1999 Power Stroke BDP Dominator 66 Turbo (Powered by CubeCart)

On a second note, they do produce kits to turn your early into a latter if you so choose, only problem is it actually costs a little more then an actual rebuilt turbo you can find on ebay.

Hope i helped at least a bit, best reguards,
Chuck.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks. It's late right now and I just got in, I'll do some research and some phone calls on monday.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you guys looking for stock turbos or upgrades. The D66 is a sweet turbo.

The early99 turbos are not that hard to find at all. Most vendors have them but don't post them on their website like Bean does.

Rebuilds use factory new center sections and new bearings so they are "new", no need to worry about a rebuild. All the parts to rebuild your turbo is $200 from Ron's turbo service. He is who I have used for all my turbo parts in the past but I am sure they area available from others out there. If you do it yourself, just make sure you get the assembly balanced so you will get the longest possible life out of it.

Keep Strokin'
Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

theres a early 99 D66 in the classified ads on here for 800 bux. thats a good price for a not too badly used upgraded turbo. might wanna check it out. i LOVE my d66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.