early 99 rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry early 99 rough idle

i just bought an early 1999 f250 7.3 liter...when u let the truck idle it seems like it misses or has an erratic idle...if u first start it and dont touch the acceleration pedal it idles fine..if u riv it up then let it idle it starts missing or loping...runs fine if its rived up over 1100 rpms or so...can anybody help... Ive checked the icp sensor...if u unplug it..it idles worse so i dont think thats the problem...any input would be greatly helpful...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you checked for any DTC's to see if there are any stored codes?

Does it matter if it is cold or warmed up?

Does it matter if it is in gear or without load?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Cynic

sounds like those AB injectors are having solenoid/armature issues.

But as said before, you need to run the codes.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes i have checkes for codes...it has a bunch of the that come up...p0750,p0755,p0734,p1754,p0231,p0603,p0478,p04 70,p1747,p0720,p0541....yea i know theres alot..some of them are about the transmission...but its a 6 speed and it works fine...there were 4 new injectors put in the truck b4 i baught it and all the other ones checkesd out fine..the truck does it worse if its warmed up...it only does it if it is not under a load..ya just bairly let out the clutch to take off and it smooths rite out....the truck still has stock exhaust and the factory air box..i have an edge evolution programmer for it....truck is still set on stock untill i pipe it and open up the airbox...thanks for the help.....

Last edited by dieselnut85; 04-08-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Cynic

P0750 Shift Solenoid 1 Malfunction
P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P0734 Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
P1754 CCS (Solenoid) Circuit Malfunction
P0231 Fuel Pump Relay Driver Circuit Failure
P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error
P0478 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input
P0470 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1747 EPC Solenoid Short Circuit
P0720 OSS Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0541 Manifold Intake Air Heater

OK, you say it has an edge and a 6 speed. Pull the PCM out and give me the code. Also, put the PCM back in "stock" and remove the edge. See how it runs.

It sounds like you have the wrong pcm OR your edge is screwing the truck up. All the Auto trans codes and the AIH is leading me down that path. Your early 99 didn't have a AIH.

As of right now, only the P0231 is concerning me. If you are having fueling issues, the problems you are describing can be caused by that. But it is hard to tell with all the random codes.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The codes need to be cleared and run the truck for a day then check for codes again. Alot of those are from doing the injectors. As Dirk said, you shouldn't have an AIH(air intake heater) plug on that truck. Make sure they used all AB injectors when they did the install as well. Depending on how long ago they did the injector replacement you could have air in the HPOP system and when it is passing over the ICP sensor you are getting that roughness. Hard to say at this point . . .
Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Cynic

I don't think that any of the codes are from the injectors\HPOP system. I think that the OP has the wrong tuning or wrong PCM for the truck.

The relay circuit code is the only odd one that is throwing me off.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
P0750 Shift Solenoid 1 Malfunction
P0755 Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P0734 Gear 4 Incorrect ratio
P1754 CCS (Solenoid) Circuit Malfunction
P0231 Fuel Pump Relay Driver Circuit Failure
P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error
P0478 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input
P0470 Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1747 EPC Solenoid Short Circuit
P0720 OSS Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0541 Manifold Intake Air Heater

OK, you say it has an edge and a 6 speed. Pull the PCM out and give me the code. Also, put the PCM back in "stock" and remove the edge. See how it runs.

It sounds like you have the wrong pcm OR your edge is screwing the truck up. All the Auto trans codes and the AIH is leading me down that path. Your early 99 didn't have a AIH.

As of right now, only the P0231 is concerning me. If you are having fueling issues, the problems you are describing can be caused by that. But it is hard to tell with all the random codes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I don't think that any of the codes are from the injectors\HPOP system. I think that the OP has the wrong tuning or wrong PCM for the truck.

The relay circuit code is the only odd one that is throwing me off.
Well I know the 603 is from having the main injector harness apart while key on cranking (after doing injectors). The 478 is from the red vacuum line being unplugged off of boost bypass diaphragm and the 470 is from the EBPV being unplugged. I am thinking the other stuff is from having the wrong computer and it not knowing where stuff is. Probably a PMT1 . . .
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
Well I know the 603 is from having the main injector harness apart while key on cranking (after doing injectors). The 478 is from the red vacuum line being unplugged off of boost bypass diaphragm and the 470 is from the EBPV being unplugged. I am thinking the other stuff is from having the wrong computer and it not knowing where stuff is. Probably a PMT1 . . .
The 0603 is a KAM error. 99.9% of the time that is due to the fact that a "tuner" of some sort is installed. Harness codes would be that of injector signal or when IDM codes show up.

the EBPV sensor codes can be a number of issues. Unplugged, completely removed, bad sensor, clogged manifold tube to the sensor, rusted out tube, ect....
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Yea something odd is going on to have auto codes on a manual trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.