Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

injectors?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dannanw 
#1 ·
I recently bought an early 99 f450 as a project. just trying to figure out all that it needs done. I have to plug it in and really let it crank for it to start, it hits on a few cylinders, then finally catches. it blows white smoke like crazy for several minutes until it warms up, but its at least 10 or 15 minutes before it is warm enough to drive anywhere, otherwise it will have no power, not rev up when you give it throttle and puke out white smoke. once it is warm, it runs like a bat out of he**. at an idle while cold, the engine shakes like it has a motor mount loose. the check engine light isn't on. I'm guessing it needs injector work, but was wondering how and what to test to pinpoint what i need to do with it. thanks

#2 ·
I've been told white smoke=glow plugs black smoke=injectors. Someone with more knowledge will verify shortly i'm sure.

#3 ·
sounds to me like o-rings around the injectors, when they warm up and expand enough they seal better and the truck runs fine. while cold they allow oil and fuel pressure to leak by, not getting a good spray,

#5 ·
i agree.:nod:
how many miles, might be a good idea to jus get a set of new/reman injectors with the o-rings on them.

#4 ·
is it cold there? if so your glow plugs might be bad or maybe the gp relay and your seals might be getting weak but not sure, i know when its cold and i start my truck it only smokes white for just a sec. and when i didnt have my chip in, my truck wouldnt take ne throttle for 2 or 3 min.

#7 ·
how much hav u drivin it. it takes a bit for it to get everything seated and settled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.