Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05/98 F250 fuel tank capacity? 28 or 32?

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  elibenson 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a early 99 F250. I got this truck with out doin much research and this truck must have been one of the first built. I have been getting 19-21 mpg which is better than i expected but was curious about the fuel capicity. I have read that these have 28 gallon tanks but the last time i filled up as soon as the fuel light came on and i put in 32.5 gallons with out over filling. Did the early 99's come with a larger tank?

Thanks
Justin

#2 ·
friends 01 f250 regularly fills up with 36 gal. running it almost dry, 780 miles out of a tank. my 99f350 drw takes 36 gallon and i get around 600-650 out of a tank. You may have a problem with the pickup leaving a few gallon in the bottom. there is a section at the top of this website that shows you the fix for getting the most out your tank.

#3 ·
Is yours a long bed? The shortbeds like mine have a 28 gallon tank but if you have a 8ft bed you have the bigger tank. I think its like 36 gallons

#4 ·
that would be it, both of ours are long beds.

#5 ·
fuel tank capacity

i found an 01' crew cab short bed f250 7.3 the other day that has a 36 gallon tank.

#6 ·
Topping off to the top of the fill neck I have squeezed 42 gallons in. It was on a bet and required a lot of rocking.

#8 ·
Reading this thread makes me feel a little better.. I filled up the other day after driving with the light on way longer than I should have, but I was able to nurse 40.625 gallons into her. I was thinking that the pump screwed me out of a few galons but if the capacity is 39 gal on the long beds I could see fitting another gallon or two in the filler neck.

#9 ·
Long beds have a 38 gallon tank, but if you take it slow while filling it up and fill it up all the way, you can easily fit in an extra 3 gallons in the tank after the pump first shuts off.

#10 ·
^^^ Same goes with the "28 gallon" tank. You can really fit about 32 in there if you fill it all the way up the neck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.