Finally im officially part of the club-Got a 99 stoker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Finally im officially part of the club-Got a 99 stoker

Finally got my powerstroke!!!! 99 f250 where to start with mods

All stock. 142k/Red Reg Cab Lariat/4wd with offroad pkg and plow prep package but never had a plow/3.73 limited slip

Where to start? Dont have a bunch of money or she would get the works-lift,tires,exhaust,guages,intake.

It is an early 99(4/98).

Looks like someone has done the foil delete or it never had it.
1st My thoughts are diy intake. My grandfather is actually giving me his MAC intake at thanksgiving. Only thing is it is for a 6.0L. I figured i could make it work somehow. Any thoughts on the MAC intakes?
2nd- muffler delete pipe and possibly eliminate the cat? Any issues with eliminating both? Im hoping for Christmas to get a stainless turbo back-what would be the best choice? Also what are your thoughts on a 5"?
3rd guages and chip/tuner. How are the tuners like the edge with the guages built in?

Also how big of a tire will fit on stock Lariat rims(16") with 4wd/offroad pkg&plow prep package

Thanks for your opinions
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well welcome. You'll love if you don't already
The earlies didn't have the foil.
Not sure what you mean by the MAC intake, but I did the DIY intake with a Bladwin filter and made an air box for it. Wonderful stuff.
If you're gonna run stock all the way up to say 400 horse, you're probably ok with the stock 3.5" as long as you straight pipe/straight muff it. I bought the 60 somethin dollar Walker Big Truck Muffler. Keeps it legal and it's just like it's straight pipe. Did yours come with a CAT? Mine didn't. Most people run 4" straights though.
For a tuner, DON'T get an Edge. They are fine if you never floor it, but if you do, you're trans is gonna be gone fast. Really with any generic tuner, it'll be that way. If you get a Tony Wildman tuned TS 6 position chip, or a DP tuner tuned by Bill at Power Hungry Performance, you'll be good to go for a long time on that transmission. They are amazing at what they do and have lots of experience. Can't beat custom tunes.
As for the Edge for gauges, some ppl do it and it's all preference at that point. But basically, transmission temp, EGTs, and boost are the three major gauges. ISSPRO has good gauges. Personally I'm gonna get some DiPricol gauges cause I like that factory match.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the truck.

1. Intake is probably a good place to start. Personally don't know anything about the MAC intakes.
2. I put on a MBRP exhaust. It's been good for me.
3. Gauges - Autometer, Isspro are probably the most popular.
4. Tuners/Chips/Programmers - You could get as many opinions on that as there are members.

Good luck with Mod-fever. Once you start, well...nevermind, you'll find out.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Ok just got a $500 gift from the boss. CASH

What would you do mod wise with the $500.
Im gonna do the diy intake for sure(makes the most sense). Then was thinking of getting a muffler delete pipe and delete the cat possibly, or do i get an exhaust? Kinda of my thoughts
1. DIY intake($50)
2. Muffler delete($85shipped-its the prebent one from expandit)
3. guages($339plus shipping). I was thinking about one of the autometer preloaded 3 guage pods with sport comp guages?

I need flares for my truck because the previous owner put those thin chrome ones on and all they did was trap moisture and dirt. So the paint is peeling under them. found a set for $250 plus i will need to paint them. Kinda thinking maybe wait and ask for them for Christmas because the current trim pieces cover that stuff.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Intake for sure. Exhaust would help. Unless you're really pushin a lot of power, you don't need anything bigger than the 3.5". Just a straight pipe however you want (straight muffler/cat or none at all) will probably be good.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

stay away from the MAC intake...Been there, done that, wrote the book, sold the story, got the shirt.... It is a POS!!! Get the S&B or the AFE Stage II.

Welcome to the "Early Bird" club.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM

well, I've owned mine for about 2 years now and just did my first mods over the summer. Got the ISSPRO gauges and ISSPRO Turbo Temp. monitor (awesome to not have to sit and wait for you turbo to cool down, just turn it off and walk away and it'll turn off as soon as it hits the predetermined temp). Goth the AFE Stage II intake and noticed the previous owner had already did the Zoodad mod. Then I got a 5 in. straight pipe exhaust. that was the coolest mod. REALLY opened up the exhaust and made the turbo REALLY loud at low rpm's (love the whistle). All in all, GO WITH THE GAUGES FIRST. Because once the mod bug has bitten you, you'll be happy that you can monitor what is going on before adding your next upgrade!
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Ok for the moment im thinking the muffler delete pipe, nice tip, got the air filter today for my diy intake. Curious if anyone knows if a 6.0 cat delete pipe would bolt up to my stock downpipe? Id like to eliminate the cat and the muffler but it would be nice to be able to bolt the delete pipe right to the dp flange? Anyone know if it would?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 PM

My early 99 has foil. It did not have a cat.......are you sure yours does??

I ran into a few things out of the gate on my 99 with 148000 on the clock as I began mods. My balljoints (uppers and lowers) were shot. That was expensive to fix. My water-pump was bad as well. Had to have a new torque converter put in. Point is, go over the truck well before decking it out.

The DYI intake should be high on your list. Easy to do, cheap and very effective.

The MBRP 4" turbo back shipped to the door was $300.00. Its quieter than the stock system with no muffler but it flows much better. Dont dog it alot and the egt/s wont hurt you w/o a gague.

Gagues should be next. I like my glow-shift set. They were affordable with a mounting pod off ebay. Some of the guys have had bad luck with them (as I have with much more expensive name brand items on other vehicals) but they have been flawless for me. Everything I needed was included for a great price.

With all that in place your set up for a good set of custom tunes. I love my DP tuner.........better than advertised.

Have funn!

Gordon
Old 11-05-2009, 05:48 PM

You sure that's an early 99? Cause the earlies didn't have foil if I'm remember right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.