Low turbo pressure problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low turbo pressure problem

I have a '99 F350 diesel. I have recently noticed this hissing (turbine?) noise and slight loss of power only when I haul horses (approx 10K lbs). Only when I am accelerating after stopping. 1-2 seconds then back to normal. I have read through many of the posts and found similar symptoms (like that of EBPV) but different codes and I dont want to ignore the signs of something worse. Took it to the mechanic today and it threw two codes. He erased them before I wrote them down, so this might not be exact phrases:
Computer Module KAM Malfunction
Turbo Pressure Low

He told me to take it to a diesel mechanic, but I have to make a 8 hr round trip with the trailer Saturday and can barely afford the diesel. Have to make several other 16 hr roundtrips to Oklahoma in Nov. I'm hoping this truck doesnt break down on me...I am a 30-something girl that knows what all can happen when stranded out the middle of nowwhere...and pulling a gooseneck makes rescue attempt difficult! I have owned this truck since '01, never had this problem before...seemed more common yesterday when I hauled to San Antonio and back. I am planning on baby-ing it throught the weekend, and praying for a safe trip. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It almost sounds like it could be the EBPV but being in TX I wouldn't think it's that cold. What have your temps been there lately?

You can unplug the valve and see if that fixes it. The connector is in the base of the turbo pedistal pretty much right in the middle. It can be a bit of a bear to get to. It's got a metal bail that clips it on to the pedistal connector.

Other than that I'm really not sure what else it could be without looking at it which is going to be a little hard being I'm in WA and you're in TX.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM

No the EBPV won't engage while you're driving, only at idle in N or P. You probably just have a boost leak. Check all the connections between the compressor wheel on the turbo (all the blue/orange boots) all the way to the point at which the spider enters the heads.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When it rains it pours...
I did make an appointment to take it to a diesel mechanic in the morning...but my truck had other plans. It wont start. Acts like a dead battery, but that is not the problem...been having this problem for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. They think they fixed it...but nope...obviously not! I dont want to bore you with the details as I know this is a diesel forum. All I know is, now I'm really up a creek.

And no... it is definitely not cold here at the moment.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey it's a diesel forum to help people out. Go ahead and bore us
You can figure out a lot of stuff just by telling all what's wrong
Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Ok so maybe the EBPV CAN engage while driving. I just read that somewhere. I didn't think it could though.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the first obvious thing was a loose battery cable, so I made sure all were tight. Then to be sure, I had them tighten them too. The next time it happened, all seemed tight but it did respond to jump start...although it might have started anyway as I will explain later. Batterys checked out ok both times...they again said one still wasnt tight enough...I'm thinking...how could we tighten and retighten several times within a week and it not be tight enough? We also cleaned battery terminals and cables even though no visible sign of corrosion. The clamps are fairly new, the cables are only 1-2 yrs old. But I dont think that is the problem. The odd things that I see going on are:

When I turn my key on, the battery gauge only goes halfway up. At this same time you can hear a little motor running...I always thought this was the glow plugs...as it would stop when the wait to start light would go off. Now it takes longer. And when it does turn off my battery gauge jumps up and I have been able to start my truck. Not tonight. Same thing happening, the gauge goes up...but it still wont start. That little motor keeps running...shuts off for a second, clicks on and off a few times, but when it is off, it still wont start. I tried moving the gear shift around, also tried Neutral...nothing. It draws power, but no turnover.
This motor is in front of the blower for the a/c...cant give a better descrip right now as it is dark and pouring down rain. If I recall it is incased in black plastic. I showed this to my mechanics a few weeks ago...they said maybe my a/c had lost compression, and that it was trying to get it back? Well, that doesnt make sense to me...the way it is acting right now. And by the way, all the time this is happening the a/c, blower, everything is turned off.
And right now, as I am describing this, I am remembering that it acted similar to this (not starting/not turning over) when the cam shaft sensor went out. It went out the first time before the recall. We put several in it before the recall...it kept throwing codes for it...different symptoms every time. Could this one have gone bad? The code said KAM malfunction with a K, so I figured that was something totally different. Also, a few months ago, it threw a code for a speed control sensor...they couldnt get the part quick enough, so they cleared the code. It has never thrown it again. Computers... any ideas?

Last edited by horseracer; 10-29-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 PM

That motor running is probably the vacuum pump. Mine does that too sometimes. The glow plugs don't make noise when they are on.
When they tested the batteries did they test them with all the cables off or were the batteries still connected by the cables? They need to be done completely separately.
The batt gauge would go up when the WTS (wait to start) light went off or when the vacuum pump went off?
p0603 "Internal control module keep alive memory (kam) error." "the P0603 is just a code that can be set when the power to the PCM is intterrupted like unhooking the batteries not a problem code."
Maybe still the CPS (camshaft position sensor). There is a color difference in the new ones and old ones.
Found this - "One sign of a failed CPS is your Tach will not move while cranking the engine over. This is on long extended cranking. Short cranking, on a good CPS will not register either.The Tach gets its reference from the CPS sensor and if its not sending a signal, no tach."
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Your right about the CPS, but the first time it went out, it would not turn over at all. The next few times it went out, it would turnover a long time and not start. I recall that about the tach. Another symptom I just remembered is that the other gauges (speed) would not work temporarily. I think I remember it doing that briefly once lately. Sorry, I have a bad memory...I have some-timers.
And yes, Vacuum pump, that is what they said. that is what keeps switching on and off tonight. usually it just does it once...but it was fairly irradic tonite. Every time it switched on the gauge was drawn down by about a quarter. The second it goes off...way after the wait to start light, the gauge goes back up to 3/4.
Also, while I was on trail ride this year, a campmover, was too rough with my truck and my ignition went out. Another member had someone in their business fix it for free...could something be screwy and just now show up? Also my gear shift seemed a little looser than normal...and on that subject, a year ago it slipped out of park into reverse and nearly ran over me. Yeah, some people think its time to get a new truck, but normally it runs like a top, doesnt leak or burn oil...no smoke, and after finally needing to put a new tranny in it, I'm getting great mileage...although fully loaded yesterday, I got just under 10mpg. Im around 260K and hoping to double that like my first truck.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM

I've got a problem where if I hit a bump hard enough, the engine drops to idle, the gauges zero out and all the dash lights come on and I'm assuming the computer is restarting. Not sure what it is.
Maybe the batteries are just SO LOW that the vacuum pump is pulling them way down. Might be a short or loose connector for the vacuum pump. Maybe it's goin out and drawing WAY too much power.
Man that's scary.
Sometimes these trucks go through little bouts of problems then are perfectly fine. Once you figure this out, you should be set.
Now it won't start at all right? Or will it crank but nothing else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.