Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Filter Replacement Help Needed!!!!

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  JHALL 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am replacing my fuel filter. I've done it before and it's a breeze, but, this time I had stuck a rag down there to clean things up and apparently had knocked a little wire with three little circular pod things loose. I'm not sure how it goes back together, or if it sinches down when you install the filter??

Ofcourse I was expecting a 3 minute fuel filter change and it's dark outside now :doh:

Please help, thanks!

#2 ·
i am pretty sure that would be your fuel bowl heater but not positive but pretty sure

#3 ·
There are three slots down there that surround the center post. There are three loose pods that go into three indentions at the bottom. There is a wire that (I'm guessing) holds them down, but can't figure out how it goes back together.

One end of the wire has nothing on it, so it doesn't appear to lock into anything (unless I broke something off of the end of the wire).

Any ideas? Anyone know what I"m referring to for sure?

#4 ·
that sounds like the bowl heater to me where are you located? will it get really cold there? if not just unplug it and go about your happy way

#5 ·
Yea I'm in Kansas, so it gets cold. It's already starting to get down into the 30's and 40's at night. It was only 43 today for the high.

Theres nothing that plugs in though. There are three little loose metal circular pod things and a wire.

I will get a picture of it.

#6 ·
ok i am gonna say it is the heater and it will plug in outside the bowl not in it

#8 ·
no pic :dunno:

#10 ·
ok that is the bowl heater just unplug it not sure if you will have to get a new bowl or not for a permanent fix or not? but for now as long as the temps are now well below freezing and u use an anti gelling additive you should be fine with it unplugged

#12 ·
unplug it from the outside of the bowl and pull any loose pieces out and run it

#13 ·
Will do. I still feel like a dumbass for doing that. I guess I'll ask around if I need a fuel bowl replacement or can fix that :dunno:

I may have to do something. The winters get down to the low teens here at times into December and January.

Thank you for staying with me here. I appreciate it very much :thumb:

-Jon

P.S. What is a good anti-gelling agent that you would recommend?

#14 ·
no problem not sure if u can fix or not but i usually use power service or lucas makes one i am trying out right now seems good so far it is made for winter use truck seems to like it thus far

#15 ·
Dieselorings. com has the heater for 54 bucks or so. Im fixing to have to do the same. Mine shorted out and left me stranded until I figured it out. There was a new filter housing complete on ebay for 100 bucks too. I jst unplugged mine and it still runs fine. Went to feed last night in the 20's and could tell any difference. I do run anti gel though.

Good luck

Jay

#16 ·
I've unplugged mine and it's been down to zero degrees and single digits. I've left the block heater plugged in overnight when it gets super cold out, but haven't had any problems since unplugging the fuel bowl heater that I can speak of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.