New with questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
New with questions

I have an early 99 F250 4x4 6sp. I have already gotten rid of the stock air intake and replaced it with a S&B intake. Future plans are a 4" mbrp turbo back, guages, and a chip, in that order. What chip is the best for an early 99 6 speed with an intake, gauges, and a 4" exhaust? What guages do I need for a 6 speed other than egt and boost, if any?

My current project I am interested in is leveling it. Early 99s are apparently hard to find kits for, so I am wondering what my best bets are. I understand the early 99s come stock with 3" rear blocks and the newer trucks come with 2". Is this true? What will get me the closest to level if this is the case?

I have found a couple mini pack kits, I am just wondering if this is the best way to go. I tow with the truck nearly daily, not a lot of weight, but enough. I know this probably won't have much effect on the front end, but I need to make sure I get the best bang for the buck. I have also heard of replacement springs, shackle kits, and add a leafs. I'm not interested in roughening up the ride and I've heard a leafs and replacement springs will do this, but they aren't out of the picture if they are my best bet.

Also, I understand you need an adjustable track bar when you level it. I haven't been able to find any for the early 99. What is recommended? Will the late 99-04 adjustable track bar work? Will new shocks be needed?

I know this question has been asked many times before, but I have the stock 16x7 wheels on the truck now. Once leveled, what is the biggest tire I can fit on the stock rim. Seeing as I tow and sometimes have to back up or make turns at full lock, tires that rub on the springs at full lock are not an option. I have heard that 315/75r16s will do this. What tire is my best bet? I've seen 285/75r16 and they don't seem to fill in the fender enough. I understand 305/70r16 is the same diameter, just a bit wider, but again, they just aren't tall enough. I'd get new wheels and tires, but want to get the exhaust, guages, chip, etc first, so just trying to get by with tires now.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I run and like DP Tunes, but DP Tuner, Total Diesel Performance, Power Hungry Performance, Swamp's, and BTS all have good tunes.
Leveling kits- lots of ways to do this, but I prefer either new springs (best option) or a kit that includes both front hangers and rear shackles for the front springs, not just the longer rear shackles like you see on Ebay. I believe Icon sells one, and I know Pro Comp does (its the kit I have). New shocks aren't required, but aren't a bad idea either. A good set of front springs should not make the ride any rougher than stock. Icon, Rough Country, and Tuff Country come to mind for new springs, but Rough Country and Tough Country seem to get ripped a lot for being rough riding.
Stock early 99 F250 rear blocks are about 3.75", the late 99-03 F250's got 2" blocks. All the F350's came stock with the taller blocks.
For the track bar, you can either have your stocker modified to be adjustable, or convert to the late style track bar. You need to get an upper track bar bracket from a 99.5-03 truck and drill out the hole on the axle for the larger bolt. Then you can just pick up an adjustable late model bar and be set.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

So new springs are the best bet? I was actually considering this since my stockers are flat now anyway, not curve really left. Where is the best place to buy them for an early 99?

I'll have to consider tunes more after exhaust and guages.

Do the upper track bar brackets bolt right on to the early 99? Should be able to get one easy, just wanted to see how easy it is.

What size tires are the best?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 AM

New springs IMO are the best way to level the front, with a shackle/hanger kit coming in a close second.
Late model track bar bracket will bolt right up to the frame, then you just have to drill out the mount on the axle.
For tires I'm running 285/75/16's on stock wheels with no issues. I've heard of guys running up to 305's with no (or very minor) rubbing.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Great, just have to decide on which to buy now. Thanks for the advice.

I've been told by someone else that you have to drill out the adjustable bar itself, not the mount. Not sure which is correct at this point. They also said nothing about the upper mount. Have you done this to your truck? Just trying to get this figured out before I order.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
Great, just have to decide on which to buy now. Thanks for the advice.

I've been told by someone else that you have to drill out the adjustable bar itself, not the mount. Not sure which is correct at this point. They also said nothing about the upper mount. Have you done this to your truck? Just trying to get this figured out before I order.

Thanks.
The late model bar uses bigger bolts than the early bar. The upper mount isn't able to be drilled, that's why you have to swap it. The lower mount on the axle must be drilled out to 5/8" IIRC for the bolt to go through. I have not done it to my truck (yet!), but several others have. Check out this thread for some info from strokin_early_99 who has done the swap.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Which brand springs are you planning on going with when you do the swap? I couldn't find leveling springs on icons website, and from what I can tell, both rough country and tuff country are made for 99.5 on. I think I read that rough country will send the early 99 style ubolts, but I guess I need to check on that.

I've seen mixed reviews on the site about rough country. Some love em, some hate em. If it stiffens the ride some, its not a big deal, I'm used to the way trucks handle. If I can get ubolts with either rough or tuff country, I'll probably go with them. I assume the track bar in the kit will work once the upper bracket is swapped and the lower drilled to fit. I believe I read on here that the rough country track bars aren't all that great so I wonder if I could just get the springs and bolts and get a recommended adjustable track bar from someplace else.

Thanks superduty4x4 for all your help.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506p View Post
Which brand springs are you planning on going with when you do the swap? I couldn't find leveling springs on icons website, and from what I can tell, both rough country and tuff country are made for 99.5 on. I think I read that rough country will send the early 99 style ubolts, but I guess I need to check on that.

I've seen mixed reviews on the site about rough country. Some love em, some hate em. If it stiffens the ride some, its not a big deal, I'm used to the way trucks handle. If I can get ubolts with either rough or tuff country, I'll probably go with them. I assume the track bar in the kit will work once the upper bracket is swapped and the lower drilled to fit. I believe I read on here that the rough country track bars aren't all that great so I wonder if I could just get the springs and bolts and get a recommended adjustable track bar from someplace else.

Thanks superduty4x4 for all your help.
I have a Pro Comp 2" shackle/hanger kit in my garage I desperately need to install. Stock springs, late model track bar conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.