ebpv valve? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ebpv valve?

What does this stand for? also what does it do? another thread here said unplug it? what will that do? should I do it?
thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPV is the exhaust backpressure valve. It is supposed to close when the engine is cold to increase backpressure, causing the engine to work harder and making warm-ups quicker. It works okay, but leaving it plugged in can allow it to shut while driving if the engine isn't fully warmed up which can be aggravating. It's very similar to an exhaust brake, and in fact many that unplug it have wired it to a switch to be used like an exhaust brake. There is some concern that this isn't the safest thing to do though since the EBPV wasn't designed to hold that much pressure.
Personally I found the operation of the EBPV annoying and unplugged it, and have intended for a long time to wire it on a switch but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 AM

where do i find this switch to unplug? i will try it.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Dead center of the motor on the bottom of the turbo, see the pic below:

Just above the blue dot in the center of that pic is the connector for the EBPV (its not plugged in). It's harder to see with everything installed on the motor, but you can still find it without too much trouble. There is a wire lock tab on it, flip the lock tab up and pull the connector out. Voila, no more EBPV.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM

whats the vacuume port type valve to the top right of the pic? its not connected either? whast that?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM

The gold colored cylinder shaped gizmo? That's the wastegate, and the reason there is nothing hooked to it in that photo is because all the plumbing for the wastegate has been removed in that photo with the intake spyder. Normally it will have a red line hooked to it (unless someone has unhooked it in the past).
Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Dead center of the motor on the bottom of the turbo, see the pic below:

Just above the blue dot in the center of that pic is the connector for the EBPV (its not plugged in). It's harder to see with everything installed on the motor, but you can still find it without too much trouble. There is a wire lock tab on it, flip the lock tab up and pull the connector out. Voila, no more EBPV.
superduty4x4,
I can't see your pic, is it just my computer or did you take it down. I am trying to figure out which plug I need to pull.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM

i cant see it either...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 AM

The pic I linked to is hosted on another forum... it likes to disappear for some reason So I took my own photos... please excuse my filthy a$$ motor and the fact that it was hard to get a good angle on it with the big clunker of a digi cam I have at work Look right above the red line and the clamp for the intake boot and you can see the tan colored connector on the turbo pedistal for the EBPV valve.

plugged in

unplugged

close up of connector

Reach in front of the spyder pipe (can be done on a hot engine, just be careful!) and snake your arm up to the turbo. Flip the wire lock tab up and gently pull back on the connector to unplug it.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

So how would you wire in a swith to activate the ebpv when you want to? I'm REALLY interested in that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.