Want to change trans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to change trans

Is it possible to change E40D to a C6 in a 98 ps. How will it effect the engine if it does not see the signals coming back from the trans to the pcm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone out there?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

why do you want to swap? I woould think the E4od or 4R100 would be worth sticking with... when built they can handle the diesel, and have OD...
Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Because the e40d is not working right I have to shift it down into 2nd then back to drive for it to run through the gears. The coast does not work reliably nor does the over drive. So i am done having people work on it who think they should get paid to break my van.This all started out with a filter change and oil.Had some codes coming back and OD was flashing but it was drivable.Now not so much. I am looking at learning how to rebuild it myself completely with upgrades and I can get a C6 to put in it while I am learning the ins and outs of rebuilding the e40d. If the switch can be done.I know i will need a shorter drive shaft. Then there is the speedo problem if the C6 does not have the same type of speed sensor. A complete rebuild kit is a lot less then a rebuilt plus I will know first hand all the parts were replaced that should have been. I do not dislike the trans but I want other options so I can pull it out when ever I want to mod the internals like shimming the springs in the shift pistons ( that's what I call them). I will be taking the van to a mountain area from a really flat area so I expect the trans to need work regularly and with the experiences so far having other people work on it I feel I would be better off doing it myself because walking far sucks on flat land and I do not imagine mountains would be better. Now that the reason has been clearly stated, is there no one here qualified to answer the question.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Wow... sounds like this is a touchy subject for ya...

This page doesn't get as much traffic as, say, the 7.3 general fourum... try posting this there, you'll likely get more responce...

I am, for sure, not up to giving advice, I have not compaired these transmissions, and untill I got my '99 van 3 years ago, had never known anything about Fords... however, I'd like to help you get answers to your questions, and if such a swap is fesable. If I were close to you, I'd offer to help, as I have a spare trans for my van sitting in the garage in the event mine goes out.

Not knowing your location, that may be of little use to you. However, I would sugjest finding a spare of the same model and rebuilding it, as you would be able to swap one for the other without drive shaft mods, and every thing being direct bolt it stuff. Perhaps you like the C6 because you already have one and might be more comforable working on/rebuilding it... I can understand this.

I also could get you a phone number for the guy who rebuilt my trans in my truck, maybe just talking to him might help you find the answers you seek. If you'd like it, PM me and I'll get it to you. He was of great help to me, good work for a very reasonable price. Complete rebuild for $1400, including remove and reinstall the trans. I've put 30K miles on it.

Hope you find some answers that satisfy you...
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not want or plan to rebuild the C6 it is in working condition. It's the e40d that needs the rebuild. 1400 seems to be the price of a second one some go higher. I never see them go under that.One was for sale for 500 but was stated as broken with out any details of what that meant or how long it has been sitting or where it has been stored. I may have to take you up on the phone number and yes it is touchy subject. This van is used for work not play and the down time was pretty costly on top of everything ells. So for something so simple as a filter and oil change for it to have turned into such a disaster I cant help but be a little ticked off.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear this has turned into a mess for ya... I know how ya feel about the down time thing, my van is the flag-ship for my electrical service company, and the truck is my company-supplied personal truck... Van is needed for service calls and general work daily, and the truck is used for company stuff about half the time, and getting me from home to the shop every day... I really miss eather one if they are down...

Let me know if there's any way I can help you out...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Finally got it fixed. The first shop went a hunting for a sensor that was not and pulled the valve body off then had no idea where all the check balls were supposed to go. They replaced other parts with the wrong parts from another model tranny. So much for the nice big shop with lots of mechanics all busy,maybe they are too busy. Or just busy fixing what they broke the week before. Very sad state of affairs.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 AM

Glad to hear you got it right... That's too bad this turned into such a mess for ya...
Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 AM

Glad you got it fixed. A more suitable swap would be to get a 4r100 trans no new drive shaft needed (it's what I did). You can buy rebuilt trans on e-bay with a warranty between $1300-1700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.