Ford Econoline E-350 Van - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Econoline E-350 Van

Okay -- total "noob" here; with my first post.

I know that the older "square body" Ford vans (prior to 1992) offered the venerable 7.3L non-turbo diesel engine as an option. Sometime around '94, they installed the PowerStroke (DT-444e) 7.3L turbodiesel engine that came in the F-Series trucks.

Did they switch to the 6.0L (DT-365) PowerStroke in 2003 as they did with the F-Series pickup trucks? Did Ford go to the 6.4L PowerStroke for the 2008 E-Series as they did with the pickup truck?

Just curious, since I was getting fuel and some dude with a late-model ('03 or '04) Econoline van said it was a 7.3 PowerStroke; but I thought they would have had the 6.0L engine.

WTF? Did Ford put a different block in the van than in the truck?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Emergency Services

Up till '94 they used the 7.3 IDI, non turbo engine in the E-series.

In '95 thiey switched to the 7.3 Powerstroke engine. It is a turbocharged non-intercooled engine that is virtually identical to the truck version. Tuning differences, slightly different intake runners, oil cooler, exhaust manifolds, non-wastegated turbo, but nearly identical.

In 2004 they started using the 6.0. This too is much the same as the trucks, but with a smaller intercooler than the trucks, different tuning. It delivers 235HP instead of 320HP. Ford is still using this engine, and doesn't look like they going to stop any time before at least 2010.

Ford will not be putting the 6.4l in the E-series van. It is simply too big to fit.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Econoline Vans

Thanks for the reply, sir. I figured someone around here could help answer a question coming from a "noob" on this forum.

Cars I drive:
2008 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8, 5-speed manual
2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L L4, 5-speed manual
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hi elibenson sorry to jump in does ford still have the 6.0 in the e 350 as a 2009 model because it seems that they are selling only gas engines for the 2009 does anyone knows for shure thanks guys
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Emergency Services

I'll see what I can find out on their fleet web site. I am pretty sure that they are still offering it. Either that, or there will be no new ambulances manufactured for the next few years. Ambulance manufacturers rely almost entirely on Ford for chassis. That would be losing a big piece of gravy sales, and more importantly it would help Chevy/GMC's market share. Ford can't afford to do either.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod performance View Post
hi elibenson sorry to jump in does ford still have the 6.0 in the e 350 as a 2009 model because it seems that they are selling only gas engines for the 2009 does anyone knows for shure thanks guys
I have been told that you get the 6.4 in the '08 and newer vans.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
Welcome to the ORG!

I have been told that you get the 6.4 in the '08 and newer vans.
hrm.. I'm afraid you've been told wrong. They are using an emissions-control laden 6.0

I just checked the ordering guide, and for power trains, there is the 4.6l/4sp auto, 5.4l/4sp auto, 6.8 (v10)/5sp auto, and 6.0 (diesel)/5sp auto.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

your right elibenson they are selling diesels its a 6.0 like you said but only as a commercial units not recreational like clubwagons . it seems like ford is paying big bucks to keep selling the 6.0 since its not 100%emisions compliant like caterpillar did when the c15 engine didnt pass emisions in 2008 they where paying 6000 dollars for each engine they sold ,ford marketshare is huge in that area theyll do anything to keep it that way dont you think roderick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.