Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bullet proofing a 6.0 van

22K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  DieselDweller 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a 2009 6.0 E350 van, 4x4 conversion plus a conversion to a full blown camping rig. My wife and I love the van and plan to do some serious traveling, in some cases to remote areas. I'd really like to 'bullet proof' the 6.0 before running into problems -- our van has only 21,000 miles on the clock.

I've look at Bulletproof Diesels products, and from what I see I'd like to do the EGR cooler and the Oil cooler. The parts for this cost about $2600 -- no small amount of cash, but I think a wise investment. What concerns me is the cost to install -- I do not think this is a task I want to tackle myself. Anyone have a rough estimate of labor costs for a job like this? I am in the Portland Oregon area, so if you have suggestions for a shop, that would be welcome too.

Thanks,
DJM

#2 ·
Could you just run a egr delete? If possible that is the first thing I would do as it is really the root of most 6.0 problems. Once that's done the next would be a coolant filter to save your oil cooler from being clogged but if it did clog, at least you wouldn't have an egr to cook!

#4 ·
Thanks for the note. My research suggests an aftermarket EGR cooler is the way to go -- with a delete and with the new ECU flash the Ford dealer installs, you constantly throw a CEL. Regarding registering my van with a delete -- that is no problem, my van does not require a smog check. Do you see any major benefit to doing a delete vs a bulltetproof egr?

Thanks,
DJM

#5 ·
Do you have any kind of wrench turning skills? I have been very suprised how DIY freindly the 6.0 is to work on. Something like a EGR takes no fancy tool at all.

#6 ·
Yes, actually I can turn wrenches pretty well and I have a full compliment of tool; I do all my own oil changes, I've done brake swaps, replaced the timing gear chains on my buddies BMW, etc. I am sure I could manage the EGR myself, but if I were to replace the oil cooler, I think I'd want professional help...I think.

DJM

#9 ·
Like I said you'd be very suprised how easy the 6.0 is to work on. When I first got it I looked under the hood and said No friggin way! But after giving it a shot it was not bad at all. And if you do go with the Bullet Proof Diesel stuff the instruction book that the include with the equipment is awesome.

#11 ·
E series has pluses and minuses. Doghouse helps a lot. I just pulled a E450 down to the oil cooler and HPOP. The unit did not have a/c so I am unsure if it makes a difference and I think the only special too I needed was the IPR socket (1/4" stubby air ratchet helps a lot). The turbo and intake JUST fit out. I would still be concerned about getting a coolant filter no matter what so at least the cooler passageways stay open.

#22 ·
I'm not the OP, but I think my van is probably similar to his.....except mine has 147,000 rugged miles and is having its oil cooler and egr cooler replaced in the driveway this week by me. Currently waiting for Fumoto valves to arrive for draining coolant from block while flushing - got a couple of coolant showers, and that'e enough. Those plugs sure are hard to reach on an E-350.

There are several pics of it in various places if you want to browse the reports from when I was on tour a few years ago - just use the link below:

Link to my old trip reports

Here's another favorite pic of the Gypsy Van outside of Moab a few year back when we were doing a video shoot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.