Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Advice on pulling the engine on e350 shuttle van

20K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  B.Reilly01 
#1 ·
I'm finally getting around to pulling apart the shuttle van I picked up for the motor. Before I actually start ripping it apart, does any one have advice on getting the powerplant out? I don't see a way to use a traditional engine crane and get it high enough to clear the crossmember. Can I pull the motor and tranny together? I've already pulled the grill/light package, bumper and under grill body panel. I don't have a lift to just pull the body. It's a 1997 e350 with a Challenger handicap body.

#5 ·
The front hook is behind the compressor about 6 inches behind the front of the cowl. Unless I'm missing something (or you were making a funny), the cowl is welded to the firewall/main body, and like I said I cannot pull the body off where it sits. I'm thinking of taking a tranny jack and lifting the engine/transmission from the bottom and sliding it forward over the crossmember until I can hook onto that front eye. Then using a crane and floor jack under the tailhousing to slide the powertrain forward and out. If the cowl can be unbolted that would be awesome.

#6 ·
You have to take the motor mounts, oil pan and pickup tube off. The intake, turbo and all of that too its gotta be stripped to block heads and vavle covers. We had to build an implement for our engine crane to get em out there are quite a few differeces youll have to swap front covers on tbe engine to use it in a truck

#7 ·
Well, I got it out by removing engine mounts, compressor, alternator, oil pan and pickup. I did leave the turbo and intake in place. I lifted from the front with a crane and from the rear with a jack until I got it half way, then chained my crane arm tightly to the top of the engine and lifted it the rest of the way. After I was done I found a picture of the lifting apparatus recommended to use and wish I would have just made one of those for my crane. Oh well. I also separated it from the tranny.

There are quite a few differences between the truck and van engines, like you said, but I don't think I need to worry about those, since it's going in a Dodge Durango, so it doesn't need to be an "F350" engine. I do wish I could swap to a truck power steering bracket since that would make the hydroboost easier to set up (the van engine used an uncommon power steering fitting, 16mm Type III swivel).

#9 ·
Thanks man, just trial fitted the PSD without the tranny attached today... it's going to be tight, but I think it'll work. I may need a flattened downpipe. The bus downpipe is 3.5" and round, and it's going to be a challenge to fit it without pushing the fan too far forward and into my radiator envelop. I may need to switch to electric cooling fans, or remote mount the radiator where my spare was. I was hoping to put a second fuel tank there to stretch my range to over 1000 miles, not that I need it.

#10 ·
hmm. weird. i've done a couple 7.3 e-series engines and never had to pull the oil pan. with the right lifting device, there should be enough room. just have to strap the front of the engine up

#12 ·
oh god yes. siliconing the pan on after must have been a nightmare. keeping both surfaces absolutely clean while doing so.
we also use a forklift. tilt and side shift helps immensely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.