Advice on pulling the engine on e350 shuttle van - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on pulling the engine on e350 shuttle van

I'm finally getting around to pulling apart the shuttle van I picked up for the motor. Before I actually start ripping it apart, does any one have advice on getting the powerplant out? I don't see a way to use a traditional engine crane and get it high enough to clear the crossmember. Can I pull the motor and tranny together? I've already pulled the grill/light package, bumper and under grill body panel. I don't have a lift to just pull the body. It's a 1997 e350 with a Challenger handicap body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you pulled the entire nose and fender off you should have no problems getting the crane in there and yanking that motor!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM

I was under the impression there wasn't enough room under the cowl for the crane to lift the engine high enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on pulling the engine on e350 shuttle van-bus.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
If you pulled the entire nose and fender off you should have no problems getting the crane in there and yanking that motor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reilly01 View Post
I was under the impression there wasn't enough room under the cowl for the crane to lift the engine high enough.
see above. Is there a front hook on that motor used to hooking the chain to?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM

The front hook is behind the compressor about 6 inches behind the front of the cowl. Unless I'm missing something (or you were making a funny), the cowl is welded to the firewall/main body, and like I said I cannot pull the body off where it sits. I'm thinking of taking a tranny jack and lifting the engine/transmission from the bottom and sliding it forward over the crossmember until I can hook onto that front eye. Then using a crane and floor jack under the tailhousing to slide the powertrain forward and out. If the cowl can be unbolted that would be awesome.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You have to take the motor mounts, oil pan and pickup tube off. The intake, turbo and all of that too its gotta be stripped to block heads and vavle covers. We had to build an implement for our engine crane to get em out there are quite a few differeces youll have to swap front covers on tbe engine to use it in a truck
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 AM

Well, I got it out by removing engine mounts, compressor, alternator, oil pan and pickup. I did leave the turbo and intake in place. I lifted from the front with a crane and from the rear with a jack until I got it half way, then chained my crane arm tightly to the top of the engine and lifted it the rest of the way. After I was done I found a picture of the lifting apparatus recommended to use and wish I would have just made one of those for my crane. Oh well. I also separated it from the tranny.

There are quite a few differences between the truck and van engines, like you said, but I don't think I need to worry about those, since it's going in a Dodge Durango, so it doesn't need to be an "F350" engine. I do wish I could swap to a truck power steering bracket since that would make the hydroboost easier to set up (the van engine used an uncommon power steering fitting, 16mm Type III swivel).
Old 12-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats going to be awesome. youll have to post some pics im doing 8 injectors at work on an E450 not so much fun haha
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks man, just trial fitted the PSD without the tranny attached today... it's going to be tight, but I think it'll work. I may need a flattened downpipe. The bus downpipe is 3.5" and round, and it's going to be a challenge to fit it without pushing the fan too far forward and into my radiator envelop. I may need to switch to electric cooling fans, or remote mount the radiator where my spare was. I was hoping to put a second fuel tank there to stretch my range to over 1000 miles, not that I need it.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hmm. weird. i've done a couple 7.3 e-series engines and never had to pull the oil pan. with the right lifting device, there should be enough room. just have to strap the front of the engine up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.