Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP - 6.0 E350 Wiring Harness replacement

18K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jmanj808 
#1 ·
We recently bought an 06 E350 with the 6.0 and Ford is telling us that we need to replace the main wiring harness as it has deteriorated (their quote $3200).

My question is is this something that we could do ourselves, i.e is it as simple as unplug old and plug in new? My business partner and I are amateur mechanics.

#5 ·
The van turns over but will not start so they have diagnosed that the wiring harness has deteriorated.

We bought the van last month and within a few weeks the turbo went out. $3900 at Ford! Turning out to be an expensive purchase! Sounds like we would have been better buying a gas motor instead!

#8 ·
We bought it from a private party unfortunately.

We are in Vero Beach, Florida....it's at Velde Ford in Vero Beach and they say they are one of the best 6.0 shops in the state, so they would say.

We did take it to a small shop in town before taking to Ford and they mentioned that they thought the HG was going....?

#9 ·
I would SERIOUSLY consider taking it to Quicktricks Automotive in Miami, Fl.

Talk to Vivian and their tech at least even before taking the truck there and see what they say... I don't think that the dealer you are dealing with is the best in Florida.

For people that know what they are doing there are ways to test the electrical, high pressure oil system, HG, and other things!

I wonder how much they charged you for the turbo.... I bet like 1700 or so huh..?

You could have gotten it for like 700-1100

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Sounds like I have the same problem

How did this end up? Did you have the harness changed? Did that fix your problem?

I have a crank but no start problem. A neighbor that works on heavy diesels brought over a scanner to take a look. Everything looked good except for the FICM SYNC which indicated NO. My neighbor called up a buddy of his that is experienced on the 6.0L to ask advice. As soon as this guy was told that the problem was in an Econoline he said to move the wiring harness near the PCM around a bit. The van fired right up after that. Apparently the harness gets fried over time in the van. The wire insulation gets brittle and cracks, resulting in shorts between the wires. The expert said expect $500 for the harness and 8 hours for a first-timer to put it in.

What a good time! I get to order a harness tomorrow.

#11 ·
Hey, 6.0E350 and Smooth_Pilot;

Help Please! Did either of you go thru with replacing the main engine wiring harness? Did it fix your issues and clear the check engine light?

I too have a 6.0 E350 and on a 116 degree day 2 weeks ago my engine light came on. The 4 DTC's indicate a fault in the circuits for 4 injectors. I paid $125 for a diagnosis at an independent shop, the said replace the FICM for $1100, but they would not gaurantee the fix. Took it to dealer for 2nd diagnosis - same conclusion, but they would not charge me if they were wrong. They were wrong and did not charge me for the install & re-intall. Only charged me the $170 for diagnostic.

Now the say they wiggled the wires and produced the codes proving the harness needs replacing. Meantime I have been driving the van for over 2 weeks with the engine light on. It has never missed or had any symptoms that I have noticed, and seems to have all its power. This repair is over $3000 unless it doesn't clear the codes. They promise not to charge if it doesn't work. But they have to pull radiator & really tear the van apart to do the work & I am reluctant since it seems to be running normally.

Please respond with the benefit of your experience, that would really help me out.

A friend in need.

#12 ·
I 'm doing this right now, 2006 Van with 100K on it, so far out of pocket it I have $2500 into it and 3 weeks of down time due to labor and waiting on parts. Being a van and the amount of crap you have to remove I'm replacing a few things, figured I don't want to do this again. I was getting one code, the crank no start issue and on occasion my a/c would stop blowing cold. I figured out if you wiggled the wire on the A/C compressor is would "kick back in". With the crank no start I also did the Ford "wiggle test" on the main engine harness and found that it would sync and fire. The code I would get was the PO299 Low boost.
I'm at the point with the old harness out, and new harness is in. Found the crank sensor wire that runs down the pass side head to be really crunchy and brittle, this also has the A/C clutch feed in it. The Cam sensor on the driver side head behind the coolant hoses had also become crunchy and brittle. I did replace both the crank and cam sensors as well. Figured I here don't want to do this again lol.
I had to pull the turbo off to feed the harness, I pulled the turbo down to check the unison ring a found it stuck not moving (po299 code) hopefully, I did replace the Exhaust pressure sensor and pulled and cleaned the feed tube to make sure it was clear.
Right now I'm waiting for some parts to come to put it all back together but glad to actually find problems and not just hope I fixed it.
I got to give a big thanks to these forums, youtube and Diesel Ron (RIP) with out that help I would still be trying to figure out what is going on. I will update this when we get it fired up, hope this helps. Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

#13 ·
Howzit guys. Im in need of an engine harness too. any luck out there? engine light came on (crank shaft position sensor) replaced the harness and same thing. replaced the FICM. same problem. replaced the sending unit, same problem. Ford dealership says they need to replace the engine harness but its OBSOLETE.. Wth, I need HELP PLEASE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.