Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replaced alt - no 'wait to start' and dash clicking

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  hogasm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 96 e-350 powerstroke. I just replaced the alternator after my batteries ran down, and the alt tested bad at autozone. After replacing it I noticed two things wrong:

1. With the key in the 'On' position the 'wait to start' light is not coming on.

2. At the same time I can hear a rapid 'click-click-click' sound...which ended up being the middle relay in the power distribution box under the hood, which, supposedly, is the IDM relay. I pulled it and tested it, but it seems to be fine; I tested the other two relays too, and tried swapping them, but this made no difference: any relay in the idm relay slot exhibted rapid clicking with the key in the 'On' position.

I tried starting the van a while ago after having the block heater plugged in overnight, but no dice. I waited a few seconds in case the plugs were actually running. It will turn over fine, but won't start.

I did try to start the vechile after the battery was run down -- I thought the gauge was just acting up -- could this have damaged anything? I'm having trouble finding a good chart or diagram of the starting circuit for my vechile as well.

Does anybody know what could be causing the relay to click? What about the "wait to start light" not coming on?

Cheers,
Bob

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.