It Stalls when i let off the throttle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It Stalls when i let off the throttle?

My 94 E350 with the 7.3 non power stroke engine stalls when ever i let off the throttle while driving. if i gently let off the throttle while driving it will stay running. When it does stall it will start right back up again. When I"m coming to a stop, I find my self driving with two feet one on the gas and the other on the brake just so it will not die on me. I also notice that while I`m driving and when coming to a stop that the idle will not come down almost like its sticking. when it does that if i give a little more throttle it will come back to normal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Please give me some ideas on what to check!

After doing some research on the web site there's a lot of talk about the cam sensor going bad on the power stroke and it causes the same problem that i"m having but i believe that my 94 does not have the cam sensor so i would like some input from any body out there. Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My '89 7.3 did that dying thing for a while, then I turned up the pump and it has not done it since. Maybe mine was running kind of lean, I could not make it smoke one little bit, but now it smokes like a train!!!!! The power is good now, huge improvement! The idle sticking up high sounds kind of like it may have something to do with the linkage to the pump, check the spring on the throttle arm on the injector pump maybe spray some wd-40 on the linkage. I don't know, those are some places I might start, there are a lot better mechanics on this site than me. I am almost positive there is no cam shaft sensor on these engines, I have had them go bad on powerstrokes and they can do some crazy stuff! Good luck, maybe somebody else will have a better answer for you.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Were is the adjustment on the pump and about how many turns should be made (roughly). I do believe that mine is running some what lean.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob_One View Post
Thanks for the reply. Were is the adjustment on the pump and about how many turns should be made (roughly). I do believe that mine is running some what lean.
There is triangle shaped plate with two bolts going into it with a rubber gasket between it and the pump. It is located on the pass. side of the injector pump, on the side of it. It is not real easy, because once you take off the little triangle inspection plate you may need a little mirror to see the screw inside, here comes the hard part, the pump is a shaft that turns in it and the screw is on that shaft! So you will probably need to some how turn the engine over, either by hand at the fan, or have somebody bump the starter while you are looking inside with the mirror. It takes an allen wrench, but I can't remember what size, pretty small. I turned mine up close to a full turn but it may have been a little too much. I really think half to three quarters would be plenty. Oh yea the screw is going to be pretty hard to turn because you are turning against a spring. I ended up taking the pump off, and it was easier to adjust, but it is a dang hard job getting it out, especially getting the bottom lines loose, you have to use a crows foot. I have a '94 that I am going to turn up and I am not looking forward to it, I am going to try it in the truck first, really hope I don't have to take the pump out. I don't know how tough it is to get too on your van, just not a real fun job any way you look at it. Good luck, and let me know if I can help!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I found the triangle plate with the two bolts. I removed the plate fuel came out. I bump the engine over and I believe I can see the Allen head. But, I'm having a very hard time getting my Allen wrench to stay put and I don't want to damage the head of the Allen bolt. Do you remember if the Allen bolt is a metric or American? So, far everything has been american thread.
What is that piece that's on the drivers side of the pump with a wire connector on it what does it do?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob_One View Post
OK, I found the triangle plate with the two bolts. I removed the plate fuel came out. I bump the engine over and I believe I can see the Allen head. But, I'm having a very hard time getting my Allen wrench to stay put and I don't want to damage the head of the Allen bolt. Do you remember if the Allen bolt is a metric or American? So, far everything has been american thread.
What is that piece that's on the drivers side of the pump with a wire connector on it what does it do?
I don't think it is metric, as far as it not staying in the head, I'm not sure. I thought I had my allen wrench in right once, but I did'nt, hard to say. It is going to be real stiff to turn, it is turning against a spring and will feel like it can't turn, but it will. As for the piece with a wire conected to it, it could be the high idle, or something that tells the tranny when to shift, I'm not sure which one you are looking at. Good luck, let me know what you find or get done.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:19 PM

I forgot to tell you, but you are going to have to bleed the system after you are done, because of all the diesel lost when you took off the cover. Another thing look at the rubber gasket that was behind it and make sure it looks o.k., you may need to replace it. Mine leaked real bad when I put it back, I ended up using gray gasket mat. that I got at Napa, the kind that looks kind of like cardboard. It won't leak like the rubber with this new diesel. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also forgot to tell you that i got my fuel pressure gauge and took a fuel pressure reading from the out put of the mechanical fuel pump right at the fuel filter housing and found out that it was only put out 3.5 psi. from what i read in this site someone said it should be putting out between 5 & 7 psi so today i bought a mechanical pump for $22.00 and i will be installing it tomorrow as well as trying to get that Allen bolt adjusted as well.
Is there a special trick on bleeding the pump?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:01 AM

Some guys will tell you to crack the injector lines, but I had some trouble doing this, I ruined the threads on an injector and had trouble with a return line, luckily I had extra parts. I just stick to the schrader valve on the filter housing, just put a rag under it to catch the diesel, loosen the valve core in the valve and start cranking! It will take a little while, when it starts tighten up the valve core and your done. You may have to bleed it more than you think. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.