PSD E-van not defrosting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PSD E-van not defrosting.

So the cold and the rain (stupid Sandy) have revealed a weakness in my E-van that hadn't been there before. The defroster always worked well until now.

I verified that the A/C compressor is coming on. Its not cycling abnormally as if there were a low charge but I haven't verified pressures. The air is blowing out of the defrost vents and its plenty hot, there just isn't much of it.

Just thought I'd ask if there was a common failure point to this. I can dig in and start diagnosing fan speeds, dirty heater cores, etc... but that isn't exactly an easy thing to check on an E-van. I thought if there were a common failure I could start there first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is it working on all speeds?

TSB
11-11-21
FORD: 1997-2012 E-Series

ISSUE:
Some 1997-2012 E-Series vehicles may experience a blower motor that is inoperative, operates incorrectly, or that only functions on one speed.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the concern.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the blower motor switch following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412.
Replace the blower motor switch pigtail following Wiring Diagram procedures for proper wiring repair.
If the concern is still present, follow normal diagnostics. Refer to WSM, Section 412-00.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, fan is working on all speeds... or at least it changes speeds with each setting of the switch. It seems awfully quiet and doesn't move much air.

After seeing that TSB though I will do two things; test voltage before and after the switch, and power probe the motor to see if it works better than going through the switch. I'll also see how much amperage the motor is drawing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.