Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 e350 no power beyond half throttle!?!?!!!

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  714shane 
#1 ·
Hey I have a 1997 E350 7.3 automatic with 330,000 miles on it. The truck has good power up to half throttle but beyond half throttle the truck is a slug! the truck idles super smooth, starts right up easily. I changed the fuel filter and air filters and took it for a spin and there was no change...still a slug past half throttle. If i floor it it will downshift and actually go even slower because theres no power...so either im not getting enough air into the engine or enough fuel to the engine. to me it feels like its not getting fuel beyond half throttle. My question is, is this a fuel problem? a sensor problem? and air intake problem? or HPOP problem? or a combination of those?

#2 ·
The fastest way would probably be to use a good scanner/software.

Other then that ... how did your fuel filter look when you changed it? If it was really dirty, your fuel tank screen might be cloged as well.

Is there oil residue around your ICP sensor?

Have you tried using different oil weight and see if it make any difference at all?

#3 ·
hey thanks for the response!

what do you mean by scanning software? ill try a scanner but the check engine light is not on so i dont have any idea whats gonna show up..

when i changed the filter the other day the old filter was brown but didnt have any large particles visible on it.

I dont know where the icp sensor is on the engine. is that the crank sensor? if there was a problem with it wouldnt it prevent the engine from starting and operating?

the only reason i dont have a concern over the oil weight is because when the engine is cold it runs excellent and smoothly and at operating temp it runs very smoothly no skip and excellent throttle response. I am currently running rotella conventional 15-40

any help will be super appreciated really looking to fix this problem asap!!!

#4 ·
There are "soft codes" that does not turn the check engine light on but shows up on a good scanner. You will also be able to check all of your pressures to see what is going on.

The ICP sensor (high pressure oil sensor) is located on the drivers side head right above the intake plenum. If there is oil around it you might want to change it.

If it were me, the two places where I would start would be to check the fuel pressure and the high oil pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.