'99 E350 fuel lines... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy '99 E350 fuel lines...

This is my first post and the reason that I signed up here. Where have I been for the last 20 years??? Didn't even know you folks existed!

Anyway, here's the deal. I've got two '99 E350's one an XLT 15 passenger (owned since it was new) with 310K on it that has been trouble free the ENTIRE time until the transmission blew a few months ago hauling a HULKING 45', aluminum, 1955 travel trailer that I should have never really let NEAR my lovely truck...but that's another story... AND the truck currently in question...

a 1999 E350 cargo truck with 285K on it that I just picked up in the mtns of WV while I was driving through last summer for $800. Payment to a shop for a series of repairs owed them by a carpenter business that went out of business and the garage just let sit under a tree for six months after they got it! Body gross but engine and transmission good. After about 3000 miles, the fuel lines on the top passenger side of the engine have both worn through by rubbing on the little steel bracket that holds them up/away from the transmission/engine toward the bottom. The little rubber/fiber sleeve was just a wisp of a ring by the time I got in there to see why fuel was spraying all over the place! They happened, one right after the other, and I was in the stretch of I95 in the Pisgah state forest in VA. I absolutely S*&^rigged something with plumbing parts to get me home (readjusting the seal every 25 minutes the entire way - THAT was a long headache of a ride the last 350 miles...I live in Jersey!) Now I'm home and have NO idea how to go about actually doing this repair. A local garage is telling me the only way to do this is to pull the turbo unit to get this done. The Ford dealership is quoting an astronomical price for this job. I feel like I should be able to do it myself but also have NO experience pulling a turbo! Here's the questions:
1) If I have replaced just about everything outside of total engine rebuilds on a lot of other cars over 35 years, can/should I do this job myself?
2) Where do I buy the fuel lines that won't kill my budget like the Ford dealership is attempting to lighten my wallet? (no matter where I do/get the repair done)
3) Does anyone know a dependable garage for any future diesel repairs I will doubtless have in the coming years that is within 45 miles of Trenton, NJ? (or a website to look dudes up?)
4) Where can I find a parts diagram that will give me the correct part numbers for these lines without going to the Ford dealer and bothering them and having to walk out without buying there?
5) I've seen some sites that are offering aluminum tubing repair kits for diesel fuel injection lines. Will those work on this application?
6) Do I really have to USE that stupid bracket that cut the original lines when I replace them?
7) Tell me what ELSE I'm not thinking about and ought to be!
ALL help will be greatly appreciated. Read only about a dozen threads before posting here and already feel at home. I love my 7.3's and am hoping to one day put one in a 1970 VW bug just to take it to a bugfest somewhere and pull 150 other cars in the parade...
8) OH! Also. What is the best repair/shop manual source for the 7.3 '99 E350??? (...since I surely am going to be getting more involved with these trucks as I go over 4,5,600K???)
I know that's a lot of questions. Feel free to refer, pick and choose, offer what ever you can. Da'neck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.