Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

worth it or not?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  medicstudent01 
#1 ·
Hello everyone or anyone. I have been presented with an opportunity to purchase a used (of course), 2000 E350 with the 7.3 power stroke diesel engine. It has an ambulance package (2 batteries and 2 alternators). It is really clean on the underside, but has the usual starting of rust at the passengers rear wheel well. The bed of the van is starting to have surface rust,(including a couple of half dollar size holes where equipment rack was pulled out, and the drivers door has a rather large dent in it, but it does not affect the window operation. It starts up well, and seems to have plenty of power, shifts (automatic) without any lurch or hesitation. He has replaced some front end tie rod ends and stuff so the steering feels tight, and although I did not do any searching on it He says it has never been wrecked. It has 130,000 miles on it. He is asking $3500.00.... Well what do you think? worth it or not?? Thanks

#2 ·
:welcome1::ORG welcome::welcome1:
The 2 batts are regular for a diesel, but the two alternators are nice.
Wow. A reman motor is about that much and that is an AWESOME deal to me. Rust can be fixed. I'd say do it.

#3 ·
Thank you for posting an answer, I have never owned a diesel anything, but I need a newer van for work and towiing my work trailor. This one also has a class A hitch so I do not have to add anything to do so. It has a converter also that cranks out 10,000 amps to run additional stuff ( in my case a compressor, or a table saw ect.)( I can hardly pick the thing up. It was mounted to run the electricity in the van when it was an ambulance, was uninstalled, but still goes with the van). so I will probably return to bug you after I buy it with more questions about how this thing is supposed to work and what I need to do to maintain it or improve it. Maybe even some pictures. Thanks again!!!

#4 ·
Oh, by the way my current van is a 1996 E350 extended with 311,000 plus on this engine and trans. I replaced it after I put over 400,000 on the origional one. Still works but the rust is getting the better of her and I am afraid I am going to have to put her down. She has been a good one at 700,000 total miles on her bod, and I took really good care of her, but the diesel seems to be a much stronger van, so (sigh) guess I gotta do what I gotta do. (sniff sniff)

#5 ·
Feel free to ask away.
My 7.3L has 315k miles on it and there are plenty with way more than that. The trans is mainly the weakest link but there are plenty of preventative things you can do to the motor and trans to keep them going almost for as long as you can pay for it.

#6 ·
Well this turned out to be a red herring. I went to the guy cash in hand, I helped him get all his stuff out of the van, carrying it inside for him, got the title signed, got the keys. and when I gave him the money, he said he had asked for 4500 instead of 3500. I had witnesses that had heard the deal, and were with me when he said what he wanted, I even had him call the guy who told me about the deal (and was there also), (one of his good friends), who confirmed the price was 3500. He said he could not let it go for that and I wound up giving the title, keys, and the van back to him. I told him I would think about it, but truthfully, I may not take it. If he could not remember what he was selling it for, how am I to believe there is not something wrong with it that he can't remember also?? Man I was so set on owning this thing. I may cool down a bit and try this again, but right now I feel he is just trying to squeeze another 1000 out of me since I junped on the quoted price so fast... What do you think would you fork over the additional money (it is probably worth it) or just blow it off and throw an ethics flag on the play?? This stinks!

#8 ·
Was this an actual ambulance? Or just an ambulance package? If it is an ambulance is it a type 2 (van) or a mod (box on back). 13xk is REALLY low for a 1999 Ambulance. If it was previously owned by a private company I would expect it to have at least 200K. I have seen/driven some old 7.3l vans with over 500k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.