6.0 van exhaust options??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 van exhaust options???

First let me say hello to everyone as I'm new to this forum and to be quite honest the diesel world. And also I'll say thanks in advance for anyone that can answer my dumbass questions... I have an 05 E350 Quigley with the 6.0. So far I've done the Sinister EGR delete and a "light" street tune via an SCT programmer. Next up is gauges and exhaust.. Gauges I have figured out but Im dreading the exhaust. Just need to get some experienced minds to chime in on what needs to be done to adapt the 4" turbo back kit from the truck, to the van... Again.... Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I'm not sure how much differences there is, but you might be better off having a system bent up at an exhaust shop.

And post up some picks of your ride. I worked on a 7.3 camper version of one of these a few years back. I though it was a bad azz ride.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks FD. That might be the route I have to go. Here Is a pic of the van. More to come as Modifications....And my wife....Allow... 6.0 van exhaust options???-8-7-11-059.jpg
Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I know that one of the guys who hang out in obs chat put a straight pipe on his dad's 08 e-series, but I think that he just sawzalled out the muffler and cat and put a piece of pipe in.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 AM

i did some research about year ago and there was nobody making exhaust for e van with 6.0(or at least i couldn't find anybody),there was one for e series with 7.3, i also have 05 e 350 and ended up cutting the cat and muffler out but hated the loudness and cold turbo hissing ever since so i'm looking for muffler now, everybody is different but to me it's no pleasure as a daily driver
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A friend of mine who owns a sizable auto repair shop and a 6.0L van with 4x4 conversion told me that he was unable to figure out how to replace the pipe that comes out of the turbo and drops down (down pipe?) due to space constraints with the dog house engine cover.

He did successfully do a cat delete and replace the remaining pipes with 4". I drove it a couple times, and it's a slight big louder in normal driving but a lot louder at the top end if you stomp on it.

I'm interested in doing the same for fuel economy reasons, despite the fact that he thought he got only a very small mileage increase...not enough to offset the cost.

I also read on a forum somewhere that increasing the exhaust diameter without making some corresponding changes with a tuner would actually result in decreased mileage and performance. Can anyone with experience speak to this?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exhaust

Cut the trash can size muffler only out of my 06 when it was new. installed a Dynomax part#17224. badass sound and does not hang down. It's been almost 6 yrs.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well looky here, a van exhaust for us 6.0 van people!!
MBRP Performance Exhaust
Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveDieselVans View Post
A friend of mine who owns a sizable auto repair shop and a 6.0L van with 4x4 conversion told me that he was unable to figure out how to replace the pipe that comes out of the turbo and drops down (down pipe?) due to space constraints with the dog house engine cover.

He did successfully do a cat delete and replace the remaining pipes with 4". I drove it a couple times, and it's a slight big louder in normal driving but a lot louder at the top end if you stomp on it.

I'm interested in doing the same for fuel economy reasons, despite the fact that he thought he got only a very small mileage increase...not enough to offset the cost.

I also read on a forum somewhere that increasing the exhaust diameter without making some corresponding changes with a tuner would actually result in decreased mileage and performance. Can anyone with experience speak to this?
My mileage went down when I installed a cat delete/test pipe and high flow muffler. My 65rwhp economy tune was written by Eric at Innovative Diesel which I installed around the same time. More recently, I installed an Atlas40 tune when I had the FICM rebuilt. I don't have exact numbers but seems like my mileage is now in the 13-15 range compared to 16-17 prior to the mods. On the plus side, EGTs are 150 to 200 degrees lower and I have tons more power. There might be some truth to changes in tune being required with an exhaust mod.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Jeezuz, I am getting an average city mileage of 16 and closer to 22mpg on the highway.
I have a 3.55 ratio, what bare you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.