Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 van exhaust options???

14K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  6.0vanman 
#1 ·
First let me say hello to everyone as I'm new to this forum and to be quite honest the diesel world. And also I'll say thanks in advance for anyone that can answer my dumbass questions... I have an 05 E350 Quigley with the 6.0. So far I've done the Sinister EGR delete and a "light" street tune via an SCT programmer. Next up is gauges and exhaust.. Gauges I have figured out but Im dreading the exhaust. Just need to get some experienced minds to chime in on what needs to be done to adapt the 4" turbo back kit from the truck, to the van... :dunno: Again.... Thanks in advance!!!

#2 ·
I'm not sure how much differences there is, but you might be better off having a system bent up at an exhaust shop.

And post up some picks of your ride. I worked on a 7.3 camper version of one of these a few years back. I though it was a bad azz ride.

#5 ·
i did some research about year ago and there was nobody making exhaust for e van with 6.0(or at least i couldn't find anybody),there was one for e series with 7.3, i also have 05 e 350 and ended up cutting the cat and muffler out but hated the loudness and cold turbo hissing ever since so i'm looking for muffler now, everybody is different but to me it's no pleasure as a daily driver

#6 ·
A friend of mine who owns a sizable auto repair shop and a 6.0L van with 4x4 conversion told me that he was unable to figure out how to replace the pipe that comes out of the turbo and drops down (down pipe?) due to space constraints with the dog house engine cover.

He did successfully do a cat delete and replace the remaining pipes with 4". I drove it a couple times, and it's a slight big louder in normal driving but a lot louder at the top end if you stomp on it.

I'm interested in doing the same for fuel economy reasons, despite the fact that he thought he got only a very small mileage increase...not enough to offset the cost.

I also read on a forum somewhere that increasing the exhaust diameter without making some corresponding changes with a tuner would actually result in decreased mileage and performance. Can anyone with experience speak to this?

#9 ·
My mileage went down when I installed a cat delete/test pipe and high flow muffler. My 65rwhp economy tune was written by Eric at Innovative Diesel which I installed around the same time. More recently, I installed an Atlas40 tune when I had the FICM rebuilt. I don't have exact numbers but seems like my mileage is now in the 13-15 range compared to 16-17 prior to the mods. On the plus side, EGTs are 150 to 200 degrees lower and I have tons more power. There might be some truth to changes in tune being required with an exhaust mod.

#12 ·
If this is directed at me, 4.10 gear ratio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.