Info source on 7.3 production changes in Vans? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Info source on 7.3 production changes in Vans?

I'm shopping for an E350 van with a 7.3 PS Diesel. I'm looking for a good source on information describing the production changes of these vehicles. What what I've seen trucks got the updated injectors and pumps in 97 if california or 99 everywhere else, but what about vans? What other production changes were there? I can't seem to find a concise source of information. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've seen a few good deals on 97 or 98 vans but I'm not sure if I should hold out for a 99+ if the two stage injectors are quieter and may yield more fuel economy. I'm used to diesel VWs and Benzs that with the right mods you can't even hear run and get 60mpg. I know I'll never see that from the van I get but I want the best I can get.

Is there anything I should be afraid about if I get into an E350 with 200k+ on it. How long are these 7.3s good for? Are things like injector replacement recommended at that kind of mileage?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Most of how well these vans run is dependent on how well they have been taken care of just like any other vehical.

Production changes on van engines and transmissions are almost identical to the trucks, with the exception of the turbo, programming, and of course no intercooler.

The "split shot" injectors on 99+ engines are quieter and more EPA friendly but aren't really better at fuel milage, as far as I know at least.

All depending on the quality of the fuel and oil, injectors and the HPOP that drives the injectors, seem to last around 250,000-300,000 miles from what I have read.

You also cannot expect to get 60mpg with these vans, as they have almost 4x the weight of VWs. Fully loaded, expect to get around 10-14mpg in the city and 14-18 highway, all depending on the gearing and your foot.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 02 e350 7.3 w/155k great van but i only get 16 mpg w/ cruise cont at 71 mph.When new trailering 2 harleys i got 20 mpg. Unlike my jetta tdi which pushes 40 mpg if you can keep it under 80 mph.... that car just wants to run
Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I still haven't found a good information source but I ended up buying a 2000 E350 7.3 PS. So far so good.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydafish View Post
I still haven't found a good information source but I ended up buying a 2000 E350 7.3 PS. So far so good.
Sounds good, diesels are very fun. The only thing I would recommend is if you have any issues with it please post on the forums before bringing it to a mechanic, as it could save you a bunch of $$$$.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xphobe View Post
Sounds good, diesels are very fun. The only thing I would recommend is if you have any issues with it please post on the forums before bringing it to a mechanic, as it could save you a bunch of $$$$.
I own my own shop so that's not a problem. Thanks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.