Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2009 E350 4x4 -- new owner, few questions

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  theplumbingmedic 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a 2009 Ford E350 van equipped with the Powerstroke motor; it has been converted to 4x4 by Quadvan. The van is in fantastic shape, just 14,000 miles on it. We will convert the van to a camper and plan to take a very long trip (1+ year ) from Alaska to Argentina. This is my first diesel "truck", so please excuse my general truck ignorance.

I'd like to modify the motor for a bit more power, but mostly for better mpg, and cooler running and longevity. I've called Banks and they state they do not have products for PS in vans.

What resources are available for tuning the PS in vans?

I was thinking a chip, exhaust, intake would be a good start. Intercooler, perhaps?

I've been reading up on the Powerstroke and I am having problems finding the specs on the PS in the van. I've read on-line that the PS in vans are de-tuned. Is that correct?

As the van is a 2009, does it have the 6.0 or the 6.4? I know is 2009 Ford switched to the 6.4, but I think that was only for trucks?

I appreciate your input.

Best,
DJM

See less See more
#2 ·
First, to figure out which engine you actually have try looking under the hood to see if there is an identification stamped or embossed on it; then go from there.

After market intakes often require quite a lot of real estate under the hood which a van rarely has, and the market for them on vans probably isn't in high demand.

I have owned my 7.3 PS diesel van for 13 years and worked on it many times. There is no extra room under that hood or doghouse for very many after market toys. It can often drive me crazy just removing all of the things I have to remove to get to the one thing that needs work, but I love my stock 7.3 PS with 295000+ miles. We have a SuperChips tuner installed on it and a TurboLifeSaver. It has pulled a 8x10 U-Haul trailer loaded with luggage and picnic gear to Yellowstone and Colorada while carrying 11 passengers with no trouble while getting 15MPG.

The inter-cooler might be a wise upgrade, but the intake and exhaust kits just aren't suitable for a van, due to space limitations, in my opinion.

#3 ·
:popcorn2:

Post some pictures up of the van/ engine bay to help give you better ideas. :nod:

#5 ·
subscribed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.