how to add intercooler to 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to add intercooler to 7.3

Great forum
Does anyone have details on how to add interooler to 2002 E450 . The 24ft Moho seems to loose a lot of power when hot going up long hills would this upgrade give the best improvement to power up hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Econolines don't have CACs?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't find an intercooler and from what I found on the web - the 2002 e series with the 7.3 doesn't have an intercooler (less space than the f series could be why...) . The air is taken from in front of rad and goes into a couple air filters and into the intake on the turbo .
Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skichump View Post
Great forum
Does anyone have details on how to add interooler to 2002 E450 . The 24ft Moho seems to loose a lot of power when hot going up long hills would this upgrade give the best improvement to power up hills.
What do you mean by "loose a lot of power"? Does the engine struggle when you are going up hill, or do you have to really let off the throttle due to exceeding 1250 degrees?

What makes a large difference with pulling power (or driving up hill) doesn't really have as much to do with cooling the intake air as you may think, it would have more to do with gearing.

There are also many other things that you can also do to help with your power needs without needing an intercooler. But if you really want an intercooler, and you are a hands-on type of person, a couple of people have installed an air-to-water intercooler. But unless you have aggressive tunes and/or larger injectors it might not be worth the time/effort.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply
The RV weighs about 10,ooolbs is on the e450 chassis. I've had it for about a year and put about 10K on it. It seems to have much more power in the first hour on the road going up hills etc but after a couple hours the hill climbing seems to lose the "kick" it had in the first hour. I can live with it but it's kind of nice to pass a few rigs going uphill.
I looking to improve fuel eco (about 10mpg now) and pick up some power .
Any ideas to do this would be great - I'm very hands on mechanically (have changed engines and transmissions in the past) but it is my first diesel Rv so any tips would be great.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skichump View Post
thanks for the reply
The RV weighs about 10,ooolbs is on the e450 chassis. I've had it for about a year and put about 10K on it. It seems to have much more power in the first hour on the road going up hills etc but after a couple hours the hill climbing seems to lose the "kick" it had in the first hour. I can live with it but it's kind of nice to pass a few rigs going uphill.
I looking to improve fuel eco (about 10mpg now) and pick up some power .
Any ideas to do this would be great - I'm very hands on mechanically (have changed engines and transmissions in the past) but it is my first diesel Rv so any tips would be great.
You shouldn't be loosing power like that. How many miles are on it, what oil are you using, is the trans. origional, are there any aftermarket parts on it, how well was it maintained?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Last oil change done by Ford dealer but I'll do the next one (due 50 miles ago-would syn oil be worth the extra $)) has only 67k miles and is bone stock. Power really seems to drop off when the fan clutch kicks in. Starts great and seems to shift fine - was x-rental and seems to have had regular service from thee records that came with it. Temp gauge seems to stay in the mid range even in hot weather up long hills.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM

well, the fan does steal some power when fully engaged. But what gets me is that it is a rental with only 67k miles? I know it is not unheard of, but when a rental place spends the extra money to buy a diesel for their vehical usually it's because they want to hold it as long as possible.

Anyhow, what I would do is see if any of your local diesel shops have a good diagnostic scan (AutoEnginuity) program and check all of the important parameters (high oil pressure, injector test, etc.) to see if there is anything out of the ordinary (don't worry about #3 and #8 injector failing any tests).

Then I would start with all of the good support mods, which includes;
1) get rid of the very restrictive muffler or replace exhaust system.
2) By now your up-pipes are probably leaking. Fixing it will make a difference.
3) remove the Air intake heater which sits right infront of the turbo outlet.
4) Install a Pyrometer to make sure your new programmer/chip wont overheat your exhaust valves.
5) Add a good programmer/chip.
6) Install a regulated return or fuel crossover (riffraff FRX) to keep #8 injector healthy and to get rid of the cackle.

These are not all required, but they sure made a big difference with my truck. If you want to know more about each mod just let us know
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was an amazing find - in mint condition and a really well built RV (triple e)
I'll see if I can find a good diesel shop to scan the computer etc and see what mods will give me the most bang. Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 PM

I am very curious about this too.
I just picked up a 2003 E450 Powerstroke.
I haven't noticed any power issues but it's pretty flat around here and I haven't done much with it yet.
Hooked up with my blazer in tow on the trailer it's 19k gross.
What is that 8th injector crossover mod?

Also, is there a programmer that has pyro capabilities or is that always done drill tap and gauge?

Question for the OP
Is your rear suspension normal looking to you?

I assume we have the same chassis, but I have never seen this style of suspension.
Mine is leaf's but no shackles, has these odd large rubber blocks bolted together and a "holder" that the rear of the leafs bolts to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.