E450 Cube Van 4.10 to 3.55 diff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E450 Cube Van 4.10 to 3.55 diff

Hi all, first time poster here.
I have sifted through some differential threads here but I couldn't find one that answers my question(s) so I thought I would start a thread. If there is a thread similar, please point me in that direction..
I have a 2000 E450 16 foot cube van that I use for long haul highway runs about 98% of the time. I know this vehicle is rated for roughly 14,000 lbs but I would say the absolute max weight I would have in the truck is 5000lbs.
The truck is bone stock with a DP tuner 60hp econo tune.
My question is, has anyone swapped the stock 4.10 diff to a 3.73 or even a 3.55? I find for 65-70mph cruising the engines revs quite high even though the truck has overdrive. At 70mph it is around 2350-2400.
If you have swapped the diff, have the results been good for MPG and noise level?
Also did you have to reprogram for shift points or anything else?
Lastly, do you feel like it was worth the expense?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM

I have a 4.10 rear and when I replaced my rear tires from 30.5" to 31.5" I gained about 1-1.5 mpg on the highway and about a .5mpg gain in the city. With your truck "underloaded" you will probably pick up 2-4 mpg on the highway with no ill effects if you drop a size on your differential.

I do not believe the shift parameters are based off of what the abs reads either, so your shifting should ok, but you might need to have your speedometer adjusted.

If it were me, I would only do it if the amount I would pay to have the rear changed pay me back in 3 years or less. If you know how to change it yourself, even better.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response Xphobe. If I were able to get 2-4 mpg increase I would be very happy. It would easily make the swap worth while. I am having the job quoted in a couple of days..i will see what the shop says.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any word on how much it cost? Did you get it done yet? Results?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got a labor quote to re-ring and pinion my 4x4 for $650. The parts, including bearings and shims, comes to 1200-1450....depending on OEM ford parts or aftermarket, with Ford being more $.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had it quoted and it is roughly the same amount as what sanman28 said.
Their are a couple of options to bring the price down.
Option 1. install a used axle with the ratio that you want.
Option 2. Go with an "offshore" gear manufacturer.

I think if I decide to go forward I will use original DANA equipment. The tech I spoke with thought this was the best route because of the quality of the parts.
I wanted to have this done by now, but I had a surprise repair to make (main seal) which had to be done first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.