Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Chip settings

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mikeproc 
#1 ·
Hey Guys Im looking to get a chip for my 03 e350 with the 7.3. This is my first 7.3 van and am curious as to what you guys are running for tunes. The van is my work truck and am looking for a little more get up and go with a slight increase in milage! Milage is not a huge concern its more the lack of power. :hehe: Any way what I want to know is whos tuning are your running and what power levels? I dont know what ill be able to get away with but I was thinking along the lines of 65hp max. My main concern is keeping the temps manageable! So let me know what you guys think! Thanks

#3 ·
I had the 300hp Hypermax chip, which seems to be just a mild canned tune. I now have a custom tuned chip from BTS. I like it because it is much more aggressive then the Hypermax chip and the shift paramaters are much better. I didn't like before how I had to wait for all the gears to shift and still wait until 45mph for the TC to lock. I am not sure if the canned tunes from the other vendors change any shift parameters, but that might be something to look for as well.

I did notice that when I first drove my van with the BTS tunes that my EGTs were climbing almost as fast as the boost was.
One of the first things I did after the chip was replace my exhaust. My EGTs then dropped and my boost increased by around 20%. The muffler is the real place of restriction, but seeing as how my entire exhaust system was already rusted quite bad, I figured why not spend the $300 and do it all.
The next thing I did was fix my up-pipe leaks. I didn't realize how much they were leaking until I started my van without the doghouse and saw a small cloud of smoke around the seals when I started my van. This brought my EGTs down and increased my boost by about another 8-10%.
The third thing I did was remove the air intake heater. The heater literally sits right in front of the turbo outlet in vans, so it realy does effect the air flow. I noticed another 3-5% increase in boost and a small reduction in EGTs.

My results went from 16psi @ 1200* (21psi peak) to 26psi @ 1200* (31psi peak).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.