2001 E350 7.3 - rear axle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 E350 7.3 - rear axle

A buddy of mine checked my van when I got it last Fall. The rear axle is mid 3's (3.55?) and open (not a LSD).

Is this a Sterling axle ?

Mainly I'm trying to make sure this will fit:

Trick Flow® Differential Covers: TFS-8510600 - trickflow.com

I have the axle code (D416D) from the build sheet, but so far have not found a decoder for that. From what I've read, it sounds like these Sterling axles have taken over for Dana in these SuperDuty applications.

Any comments appreciated. Rgds, Dave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a Dana, 10 bolt cover. Few options out there with a drain plug (I just don't get this...), my buddy is getting me a new steel cover, if he can't find one with a drain plug, we'll just braze one in, again.

If you want it done right.....
Old 05-29-2011, 01:07 PM

E350 srw vans almost always come with Dana full-floating 60/248 axles. Mag-Hytec also seems to be the most popular aftermarket cover for it.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thnx X.

I was getting confused by what I was reading earlier, there seemed to be many Sterling listings.

The owners manual I have now for '01 shows Dana 60,70 or 80 for Econolines.

The MagH site is a bit confusing (for a novice) to read, in the Ford section at least. They have you fill out an application form - they do seem to have a great reputation, so I expect the form is verified before shipment.

I like the features and capacity of the MagH's, but they are not in the budget right now.

Guessing I'll be looking at something like $50 going with my buddies option, with a decent
synthetic, I should be OK.

One interesting thing with the Dana's - the manual calls for you to (what I would consider) underfill the diff - you need to have the level at least 1/4" below the fill hole.

Nobody would call me a diff expert, but I have read plenty of manuals over the
years, never seen that direction before. Maybe this is "normal" practice for Dana, but why would they not just install the drain plug lower in the cover ? Most guys will just fill
till it runs out as a rule.

Actually, now that I think about it, the one thing you might accomplish with underfilling the diff is a tiny increase in mileage - less drag. Diff cover designed back when the delta wouldn't have mattered..... ???

Sounds silly, but gubmint regs have caused weirder situations.... D.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

X - just read your sig - what kind of highway mileage do/can you get with your BTS tune ?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM

The reason for keeping the diff 1/4" lower than the hole is so you don't flood the rear hubs with diff fluid. If your hubs have old seals they will probably start leaking if you overfill the diff. It is not hard to change the seals though.

My tunes haven't effected the highway milage, at least it is not noticable. The only things that would really effect highway milage is gearing, trained foot, weight, drag, and perhaps installing an intercooler.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thnx X.

Old seals - could be - but unless Dana figured that out after the fact, why wouldn't they just put the fill-hole 1/2" lower in the cover ?

Things that make me go.... Hmmmm.... D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.