2002 E350 Died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 E350 Died

Ok,

This is driving me crazy, I'm about to send it to a shop, the week of christmas, and I have 8 kids.. Wifes gonna kill me.

Ok,
2 new batteries, fully charged.
$60 of fuel put in.
TS chip, on the 50hp setting.

Ran about 20miles, and it died. No sputtering or anything, just died.

I drug my powerstroke home with my cummins dodge.

I unplugged the TS Chip, added 2qts of oil, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel bowl,
still no start.

Cranks great, batteries are charged, kept the heater plugged in a couple of days, so it was warm. You can hear the fuel pump hum when the key is turned on, and the fuel filter filled back up with fuel after changing the filter, so it's pumping fuel.

I shot some ether, and wd40 in the intake and it sputtered, I didn't want to push it so I shut it back off. It doesn't even make an attempt to start. Just cranks nicely.

Please guys, give me something for an idea what to check next. I read someplace to unplug the idm and try to start it? Where is that on our vans? Mines a bus, E350 cutaway.

Thanks all, pls help.
Len
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunkman2005 View Post
Ok,

This is driving me crazy, I'm about to send it to a shop, the week of christmas, and I have 8 kids.. Wifes gonna kill me.

Ok,
2 new batteries, fully charged.
$60 of fuel put in.
TS chip, on the 50hp setting.

Ran about 20miles, and it died. No sputtering or anything, just died.

I drug my powerstroke home with my cummins dodge.

I unplugged the TS Chip, added 2qts of oil, new fuel filter, cleaned fuel bowl,
still no start.

Cranks great, batteries are charged, kept the heater plugged in a couple of days, so it was warm. You can hear the fuel pump hum when the key is turned on, and the fuel filter filled back up with fuel after changing the filter, so it's pumping fuel.

I shot some ether, and wd40 in the intake and it sputtered, I didn't want to push it so I shut it back off. It doesn't even make an attempt to start. Just cranks nicely.

Please guys, give me something for an idea what to check next. I read someplace to unplug the idm and try to start it? Where is that on our vans? Mines a bus, E350 cutaway.

Thanks all, pls help.
Len
I would start with the CPS. Pretty common failure on the 7.3
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM

sounds to me your computer isn't turning the injectors on. Things I'd look for.
when you turn the key on does the wait to start light come on and then go off normally, if so the computer is working, glow plugs are most likely working, they aren't your problem though. if the light isn't coming on, you've got a blown fuse, bad relay in the relay box under the hood, or bad computer which isn't likely.

If computers coming on aka wts light works, but it doesn't fire and it cranks good and fast, there is a minimum crank speed of like 100 rpm you have to hit, then yeah probably cps.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. The wait to start lite functions as normal. The exhaust doesnt warm up, so def no attempt at starting. So,that is the normal ecm is working. Now the idm sits pretty high, and is siliconed al the way around, so its prob dry. I have the 23rd off, so ill try a cps that day. How hard is it on the bus? I heard pretty easy on the truck. Its down below the water pump pulley from what i read? I did find a blown fuse last nite. It was under the hood, a big fuse. If looking at the power distribution box thre are 2 rows of large fuses, it was right row, 2nd from bottom, 30amp. Replaced it, but bus still doesnt starr.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunkman2005 View Post
Ok. The wait to start lite functions as normal. The exhaust doesnt warm up, so def no attempt at starting. So,that is the normal ecm is working. Now the idm sits pretty high, and is siliconed al the way around, so its prob dry. I have the 23rd off, so ill try a cps that day. How hard is it on the bus? I heard pretty easy on the truck. Its down below the water pump pulley from what i read? I did find a blown fuse last nite. It was under the hood, a big fuse. If looking at the power distribution box thre are 2 rows of large fuses, it was right row, 2nd from bottom, 30amp. Replaced it, but bus still doesnt starr.
Check that fuse and make sure it didn't blow again.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did that last nite. Put in a new 30, checked it with multimeter, it didnt start. Rechecked fuse with meter, it was still good. And gave up for the nite.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 PM

the fuse box has numbers by the fuses, check it against your owners manual and let us know which one is the one that blew. it was plugged in so warm so glow plugs aren't necessary you can rule that out. wait to start light came on and went off so most likely you can rule out the main computer. when cranking did fuel mist smoke whatever come out the tail pipe? if not it's the idm or what controls it more then likely like the crank position sensor. you can do a quick search for lots of write ups about the cps. but go back and recheck all the fuses, especially looking in your owners manual for the one that controls the idm. but since the WTS light came on they are probably fine, this is just the cheapest fix.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that sounds like a cps, last time we got one it was only like $20 at advanced autoparts, you should always keep an extra one with you and the tools to replace it because they do fail and the truck will not go anywhere when it does
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am going to run this by you, when you checked/installed new fuel filter did you happen to look in the bottom of the fuel bowl ?...there is a wire that is soldered on that heats fuel...IF it has any seperation it will give a no-start from hell scenario...there is an electrical plug on the back of the fuel bowl that you can unplug to see if its the cause...I have left mine unplugged for over 5 yrs now with no issues....it just heats the fuel when its raw cold outside....worth a try...at least to eliminate another cause....
this tip came thru brian at BTS back in his ambulance maintance days...
good luck
bd
Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Find out anything?

Hey, how did the no start problem end up? Was it the CPS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.