Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is there a glow plug fuse?

15K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bathexpert 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an E250 Club Wagon 1991 with the 7.3L diesel (non-turbo). I just changed all glow plugs but it seems that current is not reaching them, it cranks for a long time and when is cold it does not start. I am wondering if there is a fuse for the glow plugs or the relay switch acts as such. In any case, I would need to find out where these components are located - pictures perhaps?
Many thanks in advance,

Daniel

#2 ·
relay

I can't help you with the fuse, there is most likely a fuse link in line somewhere. If memory serves me, the glow plugs if all 8 fire up draw about 180 amps so no fuse as mini and maxis don't go that high.

there is a relay that should have 2 wires coming off of it one to each set of 4 glow plugs, and it is most likely that the contacts are bad and it's not powering up your glow plugs, it sits right on top of your motor atleast on the newer trucks and is easy enough to check if it's energising with a test light or a multimeter as it's a simple coil driven single pole single throw relay so only 3 or 4 contacts 2 small to drive the coil and 2 large to drive the glow plugs, should be 12 volts all the time on one of the 2 large contacts and 12 volt on the other large one and one of the small ones when the glow plugs are energised. the other small contact should be grounded.

That is where I would check first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.