Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New E350 6.0 Quigley

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DieselDweller 
#1 ·
So I just bought the ultimate SUV, a 2007 E350 6.0 with the Quigley 4x4 mod. The interior is tricked out with leather captains chairs and 5 video screens, upgraded wheels and tires -- it's *****in'! I bought it "used" with 3500 miles on it.

The downsides? 13MPG, a bit noisy if you're watching a video. The added lift for the 4x4 makes it hard to enter/exit. And it weighs 7500 pounds! So much for towing anything. I'm new to diesel, and I know that Ford had issues with the 6.0 when it first arrived on the market, so a couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Has Ford worked the bugs out of the 6.0 by the 2007 model year? If not, what should I watch out for?
2. If GVW is 10,000 pounds, am I stuck owning an ultra-lite trailer?
3. I've still got a ton of warranty left, so I'm not going to do any engine mods. Can I up-size the exhaust without creating back-pressure problems?
4. Can someone recommend some step bars or running boards that will look fresh on this rig?
5. Should I use synthetic oil? Should I change my oil every 5K miles if I do?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm a newbie, so forgive my enthusiasm and ignorance.

j

See less See more
#2 ·
My truck says 12K on the door label, crossed the scales at almost 20K with loaded trailer sometimes... tows great. You should have no problem towing up to 6K or 7K of trailer, maybe more. You will have to worry about Johnny Law and the 10K, not the truck it's self. The truck is rated for 10K alone, the combined lbs of 10K for truck, XXK for trailer, combined less than 26K, and you probly won't catch any attention from Johnny Law.

Check the 6.0 forum for details on what bugs are worked out, what upgrades are recomended.

Good luck with your new ride... got any pictures to post?

#3 ·
So I just bought the ultimate SUV, a 2007 E350 6.0 with the Quigley 4x4 mod. The interior is tricked out with leather captains chairs and 5 video screens, upgraded wheels and tires -- it's *****in'! I bought it "used" with 3500 miles on it.

The downsides? 13MPG, a bit noisy if you're watching a video. The added lift for the 4x4 makes it hard to enter/exit. And it weighs 7500 pounds! My CC SB PSD wieghs in at that same weith So much for towing anything. I'm new to diesel, and I know that Ford had issues with the 6.0 when it first arrived on the market, so a couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Has Ford worked the bugs out of the 6.0 by the 2007 model year? If not, what should I watch out for? Headgasket issues are something that come with the 6.0, but not all trucks will have problems. If you do blow them, try and get the dealer tothrow in ARP head studs when they go back together with it
2. If GVW is 10,000 pounds, am I stuck owning an ultra-lite trailer? GVW is the van alone, look at your GVWR, that wil include the trailer weight
3. I've still got a ton of warranty left, so I'm not going to do any engine mods. Can I up-size the exhaust without creating back-pressure problems? Diesels don't need backpressure like a gasser, but stick with a 4" system, no need for anything bigger unless you're planning for a 500+ HP van
4. Can someone recommend some step bars or running boards that will look fresh on this rig? Tons of companies out there, just googles it
5. Should I use synthetic oil? Should I change my oil every 5K miles if I do? I used to use syn oil, but have gone back to dino, after the bedplte started to leak

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm a newbie, so forgive my enthusiasm and ignorance.

j
My replies in red

:ORG welcome:

#4 ·
Let's see some pics of this bad boy!

#5 ·
:agree:.... let's see it.:thumb:

#6 ·
I haven't had any problems with my 2006 6.0 Quigley in the 110k miles I've driven it.

I usually run about 11,000 with a GVW of 9500. I've driven in the mountains with the weight up to 13000 or so. The only problem from the weight is that it eats rotors. The front rotors are custom machined at Quigley because the F truck ones have a different lug pattern than the E-trucks, and you don't want to have to carry two spares. When you need new front rotors, you'll have to call Quigley to order them. They ship pretty quickly, and the price isn't bad.

#7 ·
:ORG welcome: but :worthless[1]:

#11 ·
Well, my setting isn't nearly as cool as the Canyonlands, but still, the beast is a beauty.
Nice lookin rig! What do you think about those BF goodrich at's? I just put new ones all the way around my six wheeler and I don't know if I like them yet. I love the way they look, but the handling is hard to get used to. They seem a little squishy from side to side.

#10 ·
Looks great man, that interior is awesome.:thumb:

#12 ·
Squishy tires

Hey,

Since I'm new to this, I don't know squishy from solid. My other ride is an Audi S4 with Falken 452s -- zero squish. So I'm still just so excited to be driving the rig that I have no real complaints except for the MPG, the height, and that my shorter friends need a boost to get in.

j

#14 ·
That's a sharp looking rig! With the shorter wheel base and not being so top heavy, yours will be able to get it done off road way better than mine will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.