can anyone help with my van? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to cpljaygage
can anyone help with my van?

ok. so here is the deal. i have a 1996 e-350 w 7.3. we just replaced the engine with one having less miles. after we picked the engine up from the shop about 40 miles down the road the fuel filter light comes on and then the van lost power and shut off. we changed the fuel filter and she started right up, but only ran about ten more miles. we towed the van to a friends house. there i drained the fuel bowl and filled it with new diesel fuel. it cranked up and we let the van sit and run while we ran errands. it sat and idled for about 30 minutes, and was running strong. we then drove it about another 30 miles with a few stops in between. all of a sudden the fuel filter light comes on again and then the van cuts out. we noticed that the fuel bowl was almost empty, and suspected the lift pump was bad. so the next day i replaced the lift pump. the lift pump was broken. we then tried to start the van and it would crank over and not start. we ended up draining the batteries. the next day after charging the batteries the engine still would not turn over so we replaced the camshaft possistion sensor CPS. cranks but wont start. so i went out and bought a code reader to read the codes, and it doesnt have any codes to read. i checked ohms to the glowplugs and they all seemed to be good. i am wondering if the injectopr driver module IDM is bad, or perhaps the injectors. we have also tried using starte fluid to start her but still nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you tried priming the injectors? Just a thought. I have always heard that you should never let a diesel run out of fuel because you have to prime each injector. Not sure if that is what is going on but it might be worth investigating.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljaygage View Post
ok. so here is the deal. i have a 1996 e-350 w 7.3. we just replaced the engine with one having less miles. after we picked the engine up from the shop about 40 miles down the road the fuel filter light comes on and then the van lost power and shut off. we changed the fuel filter and she started right up, but only ran about ten more miles. we towed the van to a friends house. there i drained the fuel bowl and filled it with new diesel fuel. it cranked up and we let the van sit and run while we ran errands. it sat and idled for about 30 minutes, and was running strong. we then drove it about another 30 miles with a few stops in between. all of a sudden the fuel filter light comes on again and then the van cuts out. we noticed that the fuel bowl was almost empty, and suspected the lift pump was bad. so the next day i replaced the lift pump. the lift pump was broken. we then tried to start the van and it would crank over and not start. we ended up draining the batteries. the next day after charging the batteries the engine still would not turn over so we replaced the camshaft possistion sensor CPS. cranks but wont start. so i went out and bought a code reader to read the codes, and it doesnt have any codes to read. i checked ohms to the glowplugs and they all seemed to be good. i am wondering if the injectopr driver module IDM is bad, or perhaps the injectors. we have also tried using starte fluid to start her but still nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated....
You can't prime these injectors like you can with an old diesel. I would be willing to bet that you still haven't gotten all the air out of the fuel lines, and fuel rails.

And, don't use ether unless you want to pull your valve covers and replace your glow plugs. If you do feel the need to use ether, make sure that you take the big positive cable off he glow plug relay, so they don't get hot. If you hit a hot glow plug with ether, it will shatter it. They can get so badly messed up that they won't come out of the heads, and you will have to drill them out from the back side (means removing the head).

Use gasoline on a rag. Let the intake sniff the gas fumes, and crank the engine. It will run better on gas fumes than it will on ether. Its a two person job. I would suggest that you hold the rag, and let some one else crank. Don't let the engine over-rev once it fires on gas fumes. You have to throttle the engine by moving the rag closer or farther to keep it at an idle speed. It may take several minutes of starting and stopping before the fuel is back where it should be.

I had a 1995 van that the crews ran completely out of fuel. It took a quite a few minutes of trying to get it to run.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can't prime these injectors like you can with an old diesel. I would be willing to bet that you still haven't gotten all the air out of the fuel lines, and fuel rails.

And, don't use ether unless you want to pull your valve covers and replace your glow plugs. If you do feel the need to use ether, make sure that you take the big positive cable off he glow plug relay, so they don't get hot. If you hit a hot glow plug with ether, it will shatter it. They can get so badly messed up that they won't come out of the heads, and you will have to drill them out from the back side (means removing the head).

Use gasoline on a rag. Let the intake sniff the gas fumes, and crank the engine. It will run better on gas fumes than it will on ether. Its a two person job. I would suggest that you hold the rag, and let some one else crank. Don't let the engine over-rev once it fires on gas fumes. You have to throttle the engine by moving the rag closer or farther to keep it at an idle speed. It may take several minutes of starting and stopping before the fuel is back where it should be.

I didn't know about any of this, awesome tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.