Gutless E450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gutless E450

I'm new to the forum here, so bear with me. I work at a moving company, and we have a 99-ish E450 with a 16ft box for our smaller moves. 230K mi, auto tranny, supposedly has ~20K on a new drop in crate engine (not sure if it got new injectors or not). Unsure of the gearing, but with it being a "450", I'd guess in the 4.10-4.30 range. To say it's gutless is an understatement. Go up any kind of hill, (3-4%; loaded or empty) and it loses speed, drops a gear, and loses some more speed. Granted, I'm accustomed to hopped up 12V Dodges, but I've owned 6.9s that had more power than this junkpile. It also seems to get around 10-11mpg, with a MAX GVW of 9-10K, if that. I would think the mid teens would be more in line. Am I just expecting too much? I've driven pickups with the same engine, same year span, and they were not torque monsters in stock form (and for that matter, 1stGen Dodges are slugs in stock form as well), but they (the 7.3s) would at least get out of their own way.

I'll ask the owner if the fuel system got any work when the engine was done, and if not, then I figure it's time for injectors. If they DID get done, what's next? I know, the basics- fuel and air filters, maybe a tranny service and see what that brings.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My '99 van is much the same... half the power of my F-350.

To thoes who know: would a 'wicked wheel' in the turbo help? Turbo spool-up seems to be my problem, just doesn't have it at low end.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Emergency Services

This is a non-intercooled engine. It was about 225 brake horse power when it was new. They tend to be pretty sluggish. I run superchips in all mine to help the throttle response and give a little bump in power and mileage.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not surprised, now that I find it's a non-intercooled engine. But, I thought all Fords were intercooled from 98 on, for emissions reasons? Or is that why the lower power rating than the 245 (?) pickups? I'd figure, keep it simple, put the same engine in the vans as in the pickups, but it apparently doesnt work that way.

Thanks again
DP
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Emergency Services

The vans got a few engine upgrades in 98, but they didn't get an intercooler. There is just no space to put one in 7.3l van. They managed to squeeze an intercooler into the 6.0l vans, but it is a little on the wimpy side. The pre 98 vans are rated about 215HP, and the post 98 vans are rated about 225. Compared to the trucks that are rated at 245 hp.

6.0l vans are rated at 235hp. As compared to the 6.0l trucks that are rated at 325hp. That's a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.