Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I hate ABS, want to remove ABS driver

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dieselcrawler 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I want to remove the ABS driver on my '99 E350 van. Can I? Is there a replacement proportioning valve that would work? The driver keeps 'pushing back' on the brake pedal way too offten, during normal driving, at times it shouldn't be. Makes quick stops scary. Could it just be the sensors? Help......

#2 ·
have you tried pulling the fuse to see what happens with it disabled? my first shot would be to spend the money on a brake specialst to find out what is going on. I have learned it generaly is cheeper and faster to see someone that deals with this every day then trust my learning curve...abs is in my view one more step in preventing us from learning how to handle a vehical in all situations..something we learn to depend on blindly.. good luck..

#3 ·
I was raised on a farm with old farm trucks that didn't have ABS... so yeah, I agree, it's just another way they 'protect us from ourselves'... With as heavy as this van is, I don't think the rear brakes are doing near as much as they could, and an adjustable proportioning valve in place of the ABS controler seems to make sence to me.

Pulling the fuse will, I've been told, affect other things like tranny shifts, speedo, and other things... not a good way to test this issue.

I would like to know a good way to trouble shoot the ABS system to determine if the driver is bad, if there's a sender that is the issue, what.... you get the point.

I have also posted this in the 7.3 general forum, if interested check it out there as well. I will be checking/ posting on both threads. I just left a much longer post there in reply to some others....

Thanks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.