New to duallys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to duallys

We are going for a dually which will be used for towing race cars several times per year and it will be a daily driver for me.

This whole daily driver business really brings me to my first question....what is it like having a dually for a daily driver? I am guessing there will be no more bank drive throughs nor will there be any drive through car washes. I have never driven a truck this large before so I am basically panicking. The largest vehicle I have driven is a Dodge Durango. So I am really concerned about parking, general navigation and maintenance.

Fuel economy I am guessing to be about 15-17mpg and the 7.3L seems to be the best one to go for, from what I have read to far on the forum and from the advice of my grandpa (diesel mechanic for 40+ years). I still have lots of reading to do but, at least we finally decided on a make!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

haha 15-17...umm yea with 4:10's (what most duallies come with) you'd be lucky to get 12. I get 9-11 but my bed is heavy, so 12 city is more like it...and forget about highway mpg unless you keep it under 64 then it goes up to about 15 or so is the best I've gotten

oh and you'll start hating parkin lots alot of them I dont even try to fit in one spot.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dannanw

I was thinking I would start taking up at least two parking spots. LOL I might even start looking into backup cameras for the truck..just to make sure I don't crush a car.

12mpg? oh boy...luckily I don't drive around too much, just to football practice/games, grocery store and the gym. So hopefully it wont hurt too badly. It will be a huge change from my Saturn that gets on average 34mpg.

I will definitely make sure we wind up with the 4:10 rear end.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 AM

you can fit them in drive thru's....but its tight. Ive done it once. Now Ill walk thru the drive thru. First time I did this the teller wouldnt help me. I tryed to explain and she just kept saying it was bank policy I had to be in a vehicle. So it pizzed me off so I went and got the truck. Had a heck of a time shoe horning the sucker in there. And I left it running just to make a point. Now there is no problem if I walk through.
casper4203 and dannanw like this.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
you can fit them in drive thru's....but its tight. Ive done it once. Now Ill walk thru the drive thru. First time I did this the teller wouldnt help me. I tryed to explain and she just kept saying it was bank policy I had to be in a vehicle. So it pizzed me off so I went and got the truck. Had a heck of a time shoe horning the sucker in there. And I left it running just to make a point. Now there is no problem if I walk through.
LOL I am afraid if I tried I would get stuck or rip off one of the "hips". Though you bring up a valid point....I will have to remember this!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I took mine though the bank the other day, smacked my mirror, I have 2 duallies, I drive one everywhere every day, I have zero issues parking up front and not being over the lines at all, I get into most drive throughs for fast food, but not all

I average 17 combined on my 95 f350 with a heavy foot, 21 hwy being easy on it
Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I took mine though the bank the other day, smacked my mirror, I have 2 duallies, I drive one everywhere every day, I have zero issues parking up front and not being over the lines at all, I get into most drive throughs for fast food, but not all

I average 17 combined on my 95 f350 with a heavy foot, 21 hwy being easy on it
I like the mpg you are getting, hopefully I will have the same kind of luck. I have a pretty light foot so I am hopeful that I will see the upper teens!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My 1995 dually is about 1k lighter then my 01 dually, both have a 7.3, auto, 4.10's, and limited slip
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM

I can keep my MPG's around 15. Now recently when my y pipe gave up and cracked my mpg's are around 13.5. But Im fitting in with the Dodge kids so much better now....
Old 08-14-2014, 02:01 PM

My 97 F350 crew cab dually gets 14-17 mpg if you keep the speed under 65 mph, they are great trucks for towing if you put a cold air intake and 4 in. Exhaust with a computer down load these trucks really come alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.