6.0 or 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 6.4?

I'm currently running a 2005 f250 6.0 that I've had since new. I'm looking at going with a dually. I can no way afford new. So I'm thinking the ages that are of the 6.0 or the 6.4 generations.
I've learned a lot about the 6.0 and know its weak points. I turn my own wrenches on it.
I know very little about the 6.4. I was hoping to get some feedback on comparing the 6.0 and 6.4 motors and tranny. If I should choose one over the other and why.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 AM

Well you already know the 6.0 and know what it needs to be happy. And you will be one step ahead when it comes to test driving and checking out the motor. I love to watch a salesman start to squirm when I break out the monitor before the test drive! And the 6.0 reputaion keeps the price down. And as you know we have a great drive train. If my blows up tommorow Ill be lookin for another 6.0 to play with.
Now with that being said the 6.4 does interest me with the power possibility's. But at 44 years of life I know that if I have that much power Im gonna get stupid from time to time and that normall cost me money one way or the other. And with how I use my truck (as a truck) do I reeley need the extra power? No. Would it be fun? Oh yeah!
As for price I dont think the 6.4 has taking as big of a hit.
Thats my .02. Probably only worth half of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
casper4203 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 AM

Don't blame you with the route your going. 60-70k seem crazy to me for a vehicle. A lot of people have mixed thoughts on the 6.4. I've only had 1 issue with mine so far and it was with the DPF still on. A $50 sensor caused a no start. Once DPF/EGR deleted and tuned, these things are mean machines if you treat them right. The big issue with these trucks are maintenance. If you don't do the maintenance, get your wallet out. Also, the rocker arms are a known issue with these trucks due to the plastic clips. You also see a lot of people having issues with the radiators. They seem to think this can be due to wore our body mounts and rough terrain. All in all, i love mine. Pulls like a train, rides like a dream, and quiet in the cab. Just make sure you do your research on what to look for. Don't go buying for looks. Check for all the issues and sit on the decision before you commit.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:01 AM

I've been pulling a camper since 2007. I keep getting bigger and heavier. That's the reason for going with "hips". I've been reluctant to go with a lot of power upgrades because it seems that that causes problems when towing. So I'm still wanting to try things like studs, a little bit bigger turbo and sticks. But I don't want to put that money into SRW. I'm wondering; Will the 6.4 be any better or worse for these upgrades with the twin turbo setup? How much more work is it replace an injector? That kind of thing.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 AM

What kinda mpg's do the 6.4's get?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 AM

easy decision....neither, get a 7.3 haha.

but seriously, if you dont have emissions in your area then 6.4 with all deletes and a tuner (puts you at 500+hp)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM

I've seen anything from 14-20 with these 6.4s Depends on your driving. Towing I get 11.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM

I loved my 04 6.0. I got great gas mileage. Now my 08 is a KR and love the looks and power. I get sh1tty gas mileage 8 or 9 mpg city and 11 mpg highway. I live in PHX. so I have all the emission stuff on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.