GEAR GURUS: Gear swap questions..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GEAR GURUS: Gear swap questions.....

My truck came with 3:73s from the factory. Since putting on my 33s and now 35s, I thought about doing a gear swap to 4:10s and getting a limited slip instead of my open rear diff. I would rebuild the Trac loc or LS before putting it in.

My question is can I just get a used gear set and carrier out of a 99-03 Dana 80 and put change mine out with no issues? Or would it be more complicated than that?

I want to do this on the cheap, or im not gonna do it at all. If I was to look at buying a gear set from yukon, Richmond ect... I would have to find a carrier also, as they are different when you go from a 373 gear to the 410s.....am I correct in this thinking? I know the Detroit tru tracs are different for each set

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is more complicated than that. I personally would not use used gears. When you set them back up, even if you do it correctly they will be loud as ****. There is nothing "cheap" about what you want to do. 3.73 to 4.10 isnt enough of a change to me to spend that kind of money. I'm just talking parts too, I can do the work myself.

Last edited by tech701; 02-09-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Honestly why not just swap the axles out? Willing to bet someone would want a "slightly" better hwy gear and swapping the entire axle is less complicated then swapping gear sets
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted to get some of that get up and go back on my truck since I went to larger tires.

Axle swap isn't gonna be easy either. Id have a hard time trying to find someone that would give up towing capacity for just a bit better mileage. But that is a good idea....

Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If all the teeth on the ring and pinion are in good shape with good wear pattern I see no problem with it. Also if you're not there when they come out of the axle make sure the ring and pinion match each other as they are machined as a set when made. Maybe a local junkyard will let you pull the diff cover to inspect and if it looks good than buy the whole axle? Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM

even if u do the used gears the rest of the install kit would be new unless you use the old bearings not sure what used gears would cost but i don't see a huge savings ?

and if this is your first gearset install I wouldn't even let you do mine for Free I would gladly pay a good shop to do this and they wont likely warranty used gears not the installation of them

no offense but this can be more than a book sense procedure to get it set properly

the risk of a bad install can cost you the whole axle housing in the event of a failure
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You wouldn't believe how many people have a Dually never hooked to anything
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
even if u do the used gears the rest of the install kit would be new unless you use the old bearings not sure what used gears would cost but i don't see a huge savings ?

and if this is your first gearset install I wouldn't even let you do mine for Free I would gladly pay a good shop to do this and they wont likely warranty used gears not the installation of them

no offense but this can be more than a book sense procedure to get it set properly

the risk of a bad install can cost you the whole axle housing in the event of a failure
x2 I personally won't do gears on anything I daily drive but did do gears in my dana 44 (eventually going in my ranger when funds are available). It did take me a while as I would get frustrated and just walk off. Started taking notes as to what shims caused what and eventually got it done.
ZMANN likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

I would love to swap my 4.10's for 3.73's!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:28 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Little far away...lol..But that would be a sweet option!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.