F-550 4x4 Semi Wheel Conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-550 4x4 Semi Wheel Conversion

Just thought i'd post up on my latest project.

Recently completed my semi wheel conversion on my 05 F-550.
I had to install a 2.5 inch leveling kit to make everything fit right in the front. Minor plastic trimming on the fender flares. I gained 5 3/4 inches over stock height with the lift and tires.

Here is a list of what I used to make it happen:

Basic 2.5 inch coil spacers for a F-350 from Summit Racing.

Bilstein 5100 front shocks for 2" lift on a F-350 also from Summit Racing

Icon adjustable track bar for a F-350 from Truck Toyz Perfromance, these guys were super helpful, highly recommend them. Icon said it wouldn't fit but it definitely does.

Wheel adapters from Tennessee Wheel and Tire. Definitely not just a bolt on adapter. You have to press stock suds out and press them inverted into the adapters. Had to cut all 40 of the semi studs to clear the hubs on the truck, kinda a PITA had to press them in and out a few times for fitment, but not too bad. 3 of the adapters fit fine and one I had to have machined out to fit. Took 6 weeks for them to make them instead of the 1-2 like they said in the beginning. The adapters are beefy and nicely made.

Rims I ordered from Rons Rims. He sells on E-bay but I ordered directly from him. Super nice guy. Went with Alcoa Dura Brites cause I am lazy when it comes to polishing.

Tires I ordered from SimpleTire.com. They were priced right and shipped quick. Went with Sumitumo 727's for the steer tires and 908's for the drives.

I had to re calibrate my speedometer because I went from the 19.5's that were around 31" to the 22.5's which are 36.5" tall. I used a Hypertech inline speed calibrator which I also got from Summit Racing. My SCT wouldn't go low enough to get the revolutions right.

Overall the ride is a lot better. The ride was rough with the 19.5's. Still get the occasional jolts but that was to be expected with a 16 ply tire. Running 75psi in the fronts and 60psi in the rears. The Bilsteins are way better than the KYB's I had before the lift. My rear still needs a new set of shocks and some form of traction bar. With the Kelderman air ride they removed part of the overload and stop that goes with it. Also they used less springs in the pack so I get alot of wrap with the 22.5's. I plan on re working the pack and installing a set of OUO traction bars along with a auto leveling valve.

I have almost 1500 towing miles on the setup so far. Mileage stayed about the same 9-11 mpg from what I can see. Will be re checking all that again since I installed the Hypertech this afternoon.

Lastly, even though it didn't have to do with the wheel swap, I installed a 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust to finish it off for now.

posted pictures in my other thread in the wheel and tire section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Any chance you might throw a rough guess at what this cost you out?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM

But no pictures ??

Edited
Never mind just read the part about your pictures.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Link to were he has his pics posted

F-550 4x4 22.5 Conversion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boon_Dockin_Summit For This Useful Post:
5fifty (01-23-2014), kinnisoj (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Any chance you might throw a rough guess at what this cost you out?
Off the top of my head I would say that everything cost between $7500-$8000. That was including new rims and tires, adapters, 2.5" lift, speedo calibrator, mount and balance, miscellaneous shop supplies, new shocks, hub and lug covers etc..
It can be done for less especially on a F350.
F350 8x10 adapters are less than $900 compared to my F550 10x10 adapters which were $1300. That would be about $400 less.
I went with all aluminum rims instead of the two steel inside rims so that was an additional $250.
Also went with DUraBrites instead of standard polish rims which added another $375 to my total cost.
Added the Hypertech speedometer re calibrator which was another $200

I'd do it again the same way for sure. I am fortunate that I could do it all at once without credit cards
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like an extremely sweet set up
Old 02-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

looked like a nice setup....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.