SIngle wheel to Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SIngle wheel to Dually

I have '05 F250 and want to make it a dually. Can I use my rearend or do I need to swap for a dually? I've gotten several different ideas from others. Eventually I want 10 lug adapters and a flatbed. I'm no pro so take it easy on me. Just lookin for some advice and the most effective way to accomplish the goal. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

(All of my advice is assuming you want a practical load capacity upgrade, if you just want more wheels then disregard most of what I post.) I used to have a single rear wheel, only on my '99. Still, I recommend NOT trying to use the original SRW axle if you plan on doing anything other than looking cool. Unless I am badly mistaken, the SRW is a different axle entirely compared to a Dually, therefore everything will be smaller and weaker. My advice is to get yourself a Dually axle for your truck year. It will either be a Dana 80 or Dana 110, I forgot when they started dropping them in the F-350s officially.

Also, upgrade your leaf springs, otherwise you won't gain load capacity. The axles come stronger than the springs. Makes sense, I would prefer to pop a spring than to crack and axle... Look at an '05 F-350 dually and make note of the overload springs and ledges, you will need these as well if you plan to bump up your rear axle capacity.

Is your truck a 4X4? If yes, then MAKE SURE that the differential ratios are the same front and back, otherwise you lose any benefit of 4X4 as long as the ratio in the diff or tires are different. Also make sure that the circumference of the front and rear tires are the same (really close anyway). Sometimes Dually equipped trucks don't always have the same gearing that a SRW F-250 has, so keep this in mind. However if you have a 2WD or never want to use 4WD, then pick the ratio that you like. I personally like the 3.73 ratio for a diesel, even when hauling, but I use a manual. You might want a bit more leverage with an auto, or if you have a gasoline engine.

You can get front hub conversions so you have dually wheels all around, but I cannot speak for any of them as I have no experience in that regard. I found it was much easier and cheaper to carry a spare for the front and back. When I'm on hauling trips across the country, I just carry two spares for the back end, and I carry two SRW wheels for the front. Once I took the SRW axle out, I then had three SRW wheels, but two in front and two for the back is easier to carry. Murphy's law you know, if you have one spare, you will get two flats.

When you get a flatbed, make sure you get the 8 foot wide one to cover your dually completely and receive full benefits of owning a dually. If you are still rocking the pick-up bed when you do the swap/upgrade, finding some fenders in a salvage yard, removing them somehow, and bolting them to your bed is doable I think, however SRW beds and DRW beds are different, meaning that it won't be quite a OEM gig, but I'm sure by the time you swap the axles (a journey filled with learning) figuring out how to fab up some fenders will be a piece of cake.

Well, I'm running out of thoughts, you can usually find decent rear axles at a junk yard. That's where I found mine. Good luck and stay safe!

(Edit: SRW axles in F-250 and F-350 in '05 are still the Sterling 10.5, same as what I used to have. So simply bolting on Dana 80 hubs is not a suitable upgrade.)

Last edited by Arctic Driver; 11-18-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I did research to verify that my memory served me.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are going to haul, why not swap a 10 lug rear in to start with and be half way there?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM

might need new brake system with that new axle, so if you get an axle from a dually at a junk yard make sure you grab the calipers too
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From my experience with my swap, the calipers were the same on either the Sterling 10.5 and the same on the Dana 80 8 lug. Mounted right up and used every bit of space that there was. I would assume it is the same gig with the '05. Super Duties have always gone overkill on brakes. Still, good point and something to look into.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Driver View Post
From my experience with my swap, the calipers were the same on either the Sterling 10.5 and the same on the Dana 80 8 lug. Mounted right up and used every bit of space that there was. I would assume it is the same gig with the '05. Super Duties have always gone overkill on brakes. Still, good point and something to look into.
They probably are the same but hell it can't hurt to grab em if theyre cheap just in case
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Honestly there isn't anything I'll be hauling that my 3/4 ton stuff couldn't handle. But I'm the type guy that wants it right and practical. I can't do it in the next couple months, I have to play Santa so the $$ is spoken for right now. I will keep my eyes out for a rearend and see what happens. Thanks again for the help
Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know that I'm against using my running gear just don't know if that's the way I wanna go. Cost will prolly play a role too but If I used mine what are the in's and out's there? Thx.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 PM

I did what you are asking. Very easy and straight across. Remember, in the ford factory they made as many parts to interchange for ease. Same frame and wire connection. They wanted a dually, they grabbed the d80, drive line, and dually bed. They wanted a srw truck, they grabbed a sterling 10.5, drive line, and bed. All mounts right up with no problem. Just make sure you get a axle from a like year truck/generation and it will be a swap and not a conversion. Btw the leaf springs are the same as long as both have over loads. The only difference from a 250 to a 350 is a bigger rear block under the springs. Don't do the spacer thing, it's cheap and hard on your wheel bearings for the 10.5 axle. Not for real work. After you do the swap your 250 will be no different then a factory f350 drw. But will not be legal to tow the same because you can't change the numbers. But that's only if you care. No cop will stop a dually and ask is that really a f250? Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.