Question on converting from DRW to SRW - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on converting from DRW to SRW

I know this question has been asked alot, and most would say just go out and buy and SRW super duty, but I dont want to do that option. So if I cant find a buyer for my truck, I have plans on converting it to a SRW. I can get my hands on an SRW 8ft bed super duty bed, but other than that what else would be needed for the conversion. Any help would be apperciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM

I am going to ask why? This is ment to offer you more help. If I know your goals it may change what you will need to do. I did a srw to a drw swapp witch is a little harder if you do it right.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I believe there are supersingle kits out there and the last one I saw on a F450 looked great.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Can you post a pic to have a better idea?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM

So just a supper single, no better mpg, faster highway speeds, or only 4 tires to worry about? You just want the look of a srw truck
Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Traxx would you happen to have a link
Old 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diamond Off Road Customs - Home
I couldn't find a pic of his truck here. It is the owners personal tow rig.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Ok I am going to give you my .02 cents to help. I converted a 2002 f350 SB SRW to a DRW. Now its going to be a little different because your truck is an 08?

Its really simple for you because you don't need to swap axles, you already have a dana 80 where I had a sterling 10.5 witch is narrower then the D80. I could have put on spacers but that is not the ideal way to go so I did an axle swap.

You should just need to pull off your rear dually fenders and have your bed holes covered and painted. Or if you can find a SRW bed of the same color for cheeper, then sale your bed and you should come out even.

The big question is this. Dont quote me but from 99-04 SD used 8/170 bolt pattern on the rims for both SRW and DRW. So to just pull off the fenders or replace the bed from a DRW and find rims is no problem. The rimes all are the same. In 2005 and later, the SRW SD stayed 8/170. The DRW changed to 8/200. Now since yours is 8/200 you will need to find out if any one makes non DRW rims on a 8/200. If so your don't need to swap axles.

You really don't want to swap axles because yours is stronger and its only around 3 in wider then the SRW axle. If I recall and maybe someone with chim in if I am wrong but at least for the 99-04 the sterling is a 7,500 LB axle where as the D80 is a 12,000 LB axle. So you can see why you would like to keep the D80. I ran SRW on my D80 with out a dually bed for year and it look very normal. Only a few guy could tell it was wider, and thats because the disk was exposed and not covered by the rim.

Now if no one makes a SRW rim in 8/200 mabye you can converit some how? I am not sure on that. Or at that point just swap axles from a like year SRW SD. Remeber if you swap axles and yours is 4x4 you have to match your gears. I had to change my front d60 from 3:73 to 4:10 so they would match my new D80. It was fine with me because I wanted lower gears.

Hope this helps. if you swap axles every thing is a direct bolt on process. Remember please double check what info I gave you. I am 99% sure every thing I said is correct but I did it on an 02 not an 08 SD.

good luck and post pic
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

The dually beds are cut out at the fender wells, it will either need a new bed or new bed sides. You will also have to change out the front hubs.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
The dually beds are cut out at the fender wells, it will either need a new bed or new bed sides. You will also have to change out the front hubs.
good point. i forgot about the front hub spacers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.