Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Looking to Buy My first Dually, is 4x4 a must?

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  redmanf1 
#1 ·
Hello Forum members,

I currently own a 1999 F-150

I want to buy my first F-350 dually. The look so big, awsome and beefy. I have noticed the price difference between 4x4 dually and 2WD. I will be using my dually to haul horses and I will definately be going off the road to drop off and pick up horses sometimes even in some mud.

Is having 4x4 a must for my purchase. I don't have a huge amount of cash so I wanted to get something that can help me haul my horses but wont empy my bank account.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
I would never consider a 2wd but I use 4x4 atleast twice a week it seems. Duallys do not fare well off road. The extra pull from the front will help out tremendously. I've seen duallys literally get stuck in wet grass. Spend the extra money and get it. It'll also help out on resale. How much weight are you planning on pulling. Having had many duallys over the years I would never get one just because they look cool. My advise is get one if you NEED one as opposed to want. Fixing a fender is expensive!

Brett

#3 ·
Since you plan on towing a horse trailer thru the mud... I think you answered your own questions:thumb: I wouldn't buy a truck without 4x4 myself.

#4 ·
Go ahead and get 4x4 since you will obviously use/need it,

I got a dually Kause it looked cool, I already had a 4x4 srw, just didnt want a long bed unless it had 6 wheels

#5 ·
You gotta figure that a 1 ton's suspension is not too flexable. And duallys just suck in the mud. So ya Ill agree with the guys above, a 4x4 would be the way to go.
If you do go with a 2wd Id suggest that you look into a locker in the back and a winch up front. Ive got the factory locker in my '12 f250 and it does a great job of helping out. That being said, when the snow fly's and the mud gets deep 4 wheel gets the job done.

#6 ·
Thanks for all your input guys,

i have found some good F-350 4x4 under 20,000 grand and they look in decent shape If I end up buying one Ill post pictures. I had a feeling 2WD was not gonna work for what i need it.

As far as what I will be hauling its gonna be for now a medium sized 3 horse trailer probably no more than 6k lbs.

I am eventually gonna buy a four horse trailer and will be puling 14K lbs.

#7 ·
Price is worth it. Especially with diesel.
They not off-road trucks. Way to heavy and sink like a stone in mud. Throw a horse trailer on it and first trip into a wet field. You will be so happy you spent the extra on that little switch that says 4x4 low!

#13 ·
I have a 4h gooseneck that I pull with my 350 srw. My gf kept asking me when I was looking at truck if we could just get a 2wd because there was so many out there and they were so much cheaper. I told her no way. Not an option.

I have used the 4wd with the trailer at least half a dozen times. Definitely worth the cost. I do wish I could have found a dually, though my srw does just fine. Looks like you got a decent deal on the truck imo, but I'm always a little leary of the 6.0s.

Here's what I pull:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#16 ·
How much is the total weight that you estimate you are pulling with the 4h trailer loaded with4horses.

I agree with you guys about beeing leary of the 6.0. But from the research I have done its a great engine but I will have to definately stay on top of maintenance and meke some modifications to keep for a long time.

Who knows when the wifey will let me buy another truck. :eek:

#18 ·
Nice looking truck. ...and ALL trucks should be 4x4. You will need more tire. Those street treads will just pack up and spin. BFG AT/KOs are great in snow and light, not deep, mud. Goodyear Duratracs, more aggressive, are probably the best all-round tire. Toyo MTs are great on the trail, but probably overkill just to tow trailers through a wet field.

#19 ·
Ive had my 2wd stuck in my own yard a few times lol.

#21 ·
I came on here looking for options to keep my drw from getting stuck in the grass and what then becomes mud when I go to the back of my property. Changing to those "bigger tires" is not an option for me, don't like the looks of them, prefer the way street tires look on factory aluminums. Mine is two wheel drive and only set of wheel spins. I might start looking for a factory .373 in limited slip. Two sets of rear tires might get me further than one so I can justify starting the tractor up to dragging it to high ground. It usually happens when I am moving a trailer around because I have to slow down to change direction, and it doesn't like getting all that weight moving again.
David from jax

#22 ·
case in point, my dads 2010 2WD dually..... stuck it wont move. my 2006 F350 DRW 4x4 drives everywhere in that pasture no matter how wet it is. (on a funny not i pulled him out with my 1500 4x4 Ram Hemi lol) Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

#24 ·
I didn't read the whole thread but to the op, I drive a 2wd ranger here in colorado all winter and do just fine, I just carry chains for the snow/ice and dont go in anything that looks like mud :hehe:...so it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.