Any tips, tales or takes on the new F450? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any tips, tales or takes on the new F450?

Our dealer just sent us some serious info on the F450 and the 2014 will be avail for order late June. We'll probably pull the trigger.

Gleaning the forums,, seems that beyond some teething pains, the 6.7 PS may be good to go.
Seems Ford is seriously backing up service too.

We ordered a new 43' 5th wheel, 18.000 lbs and the F450 is just the truck for it.
I dunno about you,, but it calls out to me to buy it.

-or,, is the F450 overkill and a srw the better way to roll?

Will we still have to bag the F450?
Am I making a deal with the devil or is the 6.7 a good motor?
Are the brakes and ride quality really improved over the first year F450?

What can we expect for MPG towing?

Are the 20" wheel with the platinum pkg good to go, or will we have limited selection on replacement tires when that time comes around?

Finally,, can anyone recommend an aux fuel tank? Bed mounted is fine. We need range.

Appreciate for any tips tales or takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't really say much for the truck as I have not driven a 2014 yet, but Titan makes sweet in bed plastic fuel tanks that lock and install easy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The fifther you have, 18K lbs dry weight.......plus another 4K-5K lbs (depending what you re loaded with) can be pulled by a SRW too.
Now if you compare that to being pulled with a dually (esp 450) its like night and day.

The 450s are the hauling kings.
If im going on long trips with that kind of weight, I would only consider a dually.

Its always good to have more rig than you need for the load.

As far as MPG I have not even bothered to look at, but Id be surprised if I grt any better than 9-10 mpg towing heavy.
I got 4.30s in the rear. Some others come with 4.88s (less mpg @ same speed).

The trick is: Be easy on the pedal (esp on take offs), anticipate the traffic & coast it instead of using the brakes, top speed should be 63 mph.
I hate these rules btw. Ha ha.

Remember......this is a 6.4L insight.
You re going for a 6.7L.......witch I think it wont be much different.
The difference would be the 6.7s are even better.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wouldn't think with that kind of weight you're want to be running a SRW truck. Sounds to me like that trailer is just the job for a 450.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought a 2012 f350 dually. I had a pretty good deal lined up on a 450, but insurance cost was going to be an additional $1000 a year for the 450.

I would definently look into insurance cost before you buy.

Also for that much weight you need to look into a dually. Your main limiting factors will be GCWR and Payload capacities. The SRW have a GCWR of around 23500 and the 350 6.7 dually's have a GCWR of 30,000.

Based on the length and weight of the trailer you speced above it sounds like you are getting a Mobile Suites 5th wheel and those typically have a pin weight of 4,000+. You will need to definently pay attention to your pin weights. You probably will not have issues with your Rear axle rating, but make sure your tires are rated for more than your RAWR.

Also on the 350 and 450 dually's you get 17" wheels not 20". The 6.4's had 19.5" wheels on the 450's but that has changes.

Good luck with the new truck and RV purchases. I just went through all of this. Bought the RV 2 weeks ago and bought the new truck 2 days ago.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

I vote dually as well, way more stable in every situation, beyond comparison, and the 450 is a lot of truck
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Appreciate the tips and tales.

We just Lemon-Lawed a 32' 5'r that we towed with our srw GMC 2500HD 8.1 gas rated at 13.000 lbs 5th wheel towing.

Very capable but best mileage was 6.1 MPG with about 24 usable gallons in the tank.
So,, travelling around the USA we were looking for a gas station every 2 hours on the road. That's crazy really. Too much. Just nuts.
So diesel with extra capacity tank is they way we want to roll.

I had no idea the registration on a F450 would astronomically higher, I'll look further into that. I had heard something that a home owner registration is different than if the truck is used for business,, but that could be a sea story.
We bought a new Z06 and the registration in Cali on that is $1000 each year, insurance is $1000 per year too. Crazy I know,, but it's a new era I guess.

The Lemon Law ordeal on our 5th wheel lasted 4 years and we dealt with 3 different law firms. That's a normal flow for this kinda deal. I asked each firm what tow vehicle they would buy and hands down they all recommended the Ram. "We never ever see any Ram cases come into the office" they told us. "We'll never see you again".

We've had horrific experiences with Dodge/Rams dealers in the past. We and our friends Rams always seem to need brakes and are seriously falling apart, collapsed dashboards, loose steering columns, so we're not getting bit by that dog twice.
They are nice looking,, but not going through that hell again with a Dodge service dept.

Neighbour down the street bought a new F450. It was beautiful and just the base model. Before I could ask him about it, he sold his place with a 3 day escrow, stuck the key in the ignition,, and moved off to Sandpoint Id.

Thanks for the takes, we'll roll by the dealer or AAA and get a fix on the DMV cost and insurance issue and keep a close watch if the 6.7 starts acting up.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

In California I'm told they are registered as commercial unless a topper is over the bed, and I would still only buy a ford, only good thing about a dodge is they out sourced a diesel to cummins
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've done quite a bit of long hauling and a dually is the way to go. The stability alone is worth it. I've also found out that airbags are a good thing to have, so I'd recommend a set of those as well. Have fun!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

The 450 is definitely the way to go with that sized trailer... But check with insurance before you place the order!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.